The Dirty Bird: The birdy chirps answers to Sex Ed. 101

Coming from a high school with comprehensive sexual education, I didn’t realize how frequently I interact with people who never got “the talk” from their parents or from their schools until I realized the most frequent questions I’m asked by friends are all covered in Sex Ed. 101. 

To reduce this information gap, here’s a list of my favorite questions, with answers, that my less-sexually-educated friends and classmates have actually asked me. 

Anatomy

Question: How many holes do ladies have “down there?”

Answer: Three. The urethra is where urine leaves the body, the vaginal canal is where periods and babies leave the body and the anus is where poop leaves the body!

Question: Where is the clitoris on a woman?

Answer: The clitoris is part of the vulva—the exterior of the female genitalia. It’s a little nub that expands when aroused. It’s located a few inches above the vaginal canal and expands deep within the skin. Yay! 

Question: Can you re-pop a cherry?

Answer: No. A cherry, also known as a hymen, is a membrane surrounding the cervix in people with vaginas. Once a hymen is “broken,” it’s broken. 

Hymens can break from rigorous physical activities, a hard fall or sexual activity. The hymen does not grow back.

However, it is possible and normal to bleed from sex if we’ve abstained for a while. Don’t worry!

Question: Isn’t pre-come a myth?

Answer: What? No. Pre-ejaculate is a combination of fluids that rise out of the urethra of a penis before the person orgasms. 

The biological purpose is to “clean” the old sperm and bacteria out of the body so the fresh semen has the best chance of success.

Protection

Question: Are blow jobs dangerous?

Answer: Danger is an interesting word. Blow jobs are dangerous if an alligator is sucking dick. They’re dangerous is both people have stage four rabies. They’re even dangerous if both people hold their breath the whole time. 

However, giving or receiving a blow job under normal circumstances (read: sans alligator) is so  not dangerous. 

At worst, giving head can carry minor risks, like transmission of the easily cured chlamydia to someone’s throat. As long as our mouths don’t have open wounds, the risk each person is exposed to during fellatio is very low. 

Part two of this question: Can you get pregnant from giving head? The stomach bone is not connected to the uterus bone, so we’re all clear on that one. 

Question: Can you get pregnant from a bath tub?

Answer: No. Spermies cannot swim far or efficiently enough to travel through a tub of water. 

Question: If I put a condom on and it won’t roll down, can I flip it over and roll it down that way?

Answer: No. Once the outside of a condom (the side that isn’t against the penis) touches the penis, it has been compromised by any residual fluids that may be on the penis’s tip. 

If we just turn it around, we’re exposing our partners to the fluids the condom is trying to help us avoid! We must replace the condom with a fresh one. 

Question: I got a sexual infection. My doctor said it was a UTI!

Answer: Urinary tract infections are irritations around the urethra and are not actually sexually transmitted infections. 

UTIs can be caused by sitting in bacteria-infested hot tubs for too long, wearing non-cotton pants or excessive rubbing of the area near the urethra—including sexual activity! 

That’s why it is important to always pee after sex. If we find ourselves with a UTI, a visit to the doctor and a prescritption for antibiotics will do the trick.

Question: Flavored condoms are okay for sex, right?

Answer: For oral sex, of course! That’s exactly why they’re flavored. However, using them for penetration in the vagina or anus may lead to yeast infections because of the glucose—sugars—that make them so tasty! 

Orgasm

Question: What’s the easiest way to get a girl to come?

Answer: Eat her out.

Question: In porn, the girl always comes right when the dude starts eating her out. I eat my girlfriend out for minutes at a time but she never has an orgasm from it. What gives?

Answer: Porn is not real life. Getting a person to orgasm takes time and dedication. 

Learning what our partners want is especially important when we’re going down on them—we should listen to them and even ask them how they’re liking what we’re giving. 

As far as producing orgasms, we should ask our partner to tell us when they’re close to coming so we have a sense of whether or not we’re bringing our partners to the edge, or how to do so more frequently or efficiently.

Question: Does masturbation count as a workout?

Answer: The typical masturbation session burns about 100 calories, which is typically not seen as a very intense workout. Sexpert Dan Savage suggests rewarding ourselves with a hot rub-off after a hard workout to get the benefit of both... And to motivate us to finally leave our house. 

Question: Is it normal to cry while you orgasm?

Answer: While the “crymax” phenomenon isn’t suggested, our heightened emotions and sensations can sometimes expose our brains to happy or sad things we may have never considered in a different state of mind, which may cause us to cry. How fun.

Personal

Question: Do guys ever wax their balls?

Answer: Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON (guess who just watched the Steve Carrell classic?) Some men do wax their balls but most people who manscape settle for more comfortable, less expensive shaving. Then they can do it themselves.

Question: Why have I never been deep throated?

Answer: Very simple: your penis is not big enough or the people giving you head were not into deep throating. 

Question: Will I ever get over my ex?

Answer: No.

Any more questions you’d like to see Alex answer? Tell her what she missed by emailing sex@dailycardinal.com!