Inside the ring with UW boxing author Doug Moe

Lords of the Ring: The Triumph and Tragedy of College Boxing's Greatest Team"" was published in 2003 by Madisonian and Capital Times' columnist, Doug Moe. The Daily Cardinal spoke with Moe about his book. 

Daily Cardinal: Why did you write the book? 

Doug Moe: I did an Isthmus cover story on the death of Charlie Mohr ... This boxing story had always kind of stuck with me as always more to it than just the Charlie Mohr story. You know, how did [his death] happen? How did [boxing] get so big? Was that really the reason [it] ended""the death of Charlie Mohr? 

DC: Are you a boxing fan?  

DM: I certainly didn't write the book because I like boxing, because I don't like boxing, I'm sort of neutral on it. But I'm a huge fan of good stories and this incredible era from 1933 when it started in Madison to 1960, it's only 27 years""in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty short time period but it was a remarkable era. 

DC: Why did you make the title similar to the famous fantasy series by J.R.R. Tolkien? 

DM: I think it fits and it obviously has that instant recognition and the little tweak to it. 

DC: Do you consider boxing controversial? 

DM: I know that it's controversial, but do I object to it personally? No, I don't. I mean two UW football players died over the years ... There was no outcry to abolish football, nor do I think there should have been, but it was a terrible tragedy. No, I don't think [boxing] should have been outlawed, but I understand the reasons why it was. 

DC: What was your most memorable moment/interview/discovery when doing the research for the book? 

DM: During my research I found at Wisconsin Public Television the actual footage of the second round and I was able to watch a VHS of it and answer once and for all, did Charlie Mohr get hit? ... I remember exactly watching that thing for the first time and knowing what was going to happen. It was quite chilling and he did get hit hard, very hard in the head and he went down. It was pretty horrible to watch. 

DC: [And as Cardinal tradition]: What is the greatest rock 'n' roll album of all time? 

DM: I'm not a big rock 'n' roll guy. I listen to jazz and blues and ... I would say probably Bob Dylan and probably Blood on the Tracks.