City News

Cephus pleads not guilty, trial delayed

In a hearing Thursday, suspended Badgers football player Quintez Cephus plead not guilty to second- and third- degree sexual assault charges and requested a suspension of a UW-Madison investigation.

Image By: Jon Brockman

Suspended Badgers wide receiver Quintez Cephus pleaded not guilty Thursday to the Dane County judge responsible for his upcoming trial for the sexual assault of two women.

His legal team submitted proposals to Judge William Hanrahan to delay the trial and another to a federal judge to stop UW-Madison’s investigation of the charges.

Cephus was accused by two women of second- and third-degree felony sexual assault of an intoxicated person. In a hearing, Cephus submitted both his not guilty plea and a proposal to delay the trial.

According to the Wisconsin State Journal, Judge Hanrahan granted the delay of proceedings in order for the defendant to have more time to review evidence that is still being processed.

Earlier this month, Cephus announced he would be filing a federal lawsuit against UW-Madison for “violating his constitutional rights to a fair investigation” since the lawsuits were brought forward simultaneously. Cephus formally filed the request for a suspension of the university’s Title IX investigation with the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin Thursday morning.