Haleigh Amant and Ryan Bullen

Daily Cardinal
News

Patrick Modiano writes thoughtful novellas

In his collection of three novellas, last year’s Nobel Prize Winner Patrick Modiano gives his readers a hauntingly beautiful reminder of the power and resonance memory has on our daily lives. Though the three novellas “Afterimage,” “Suspended Sentences” and “Flowers of Ruin” tell three different narratives, they all feel connected not only because of their common location of pre- and post-occupation Paris or their narrator, different versions of Modiano himself, but because they all center themselves as an homage to how much nostalgia can affect our lives.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Action Project: Affirmative action in higher ed reinforces racial discrimination

The tireless and honorable efforts of Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. to promote racial equality in the United States can be summed up with one of his most famous quotes: “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” This quote should summarize where we should be in the United States today regarding race; however, a policy meant to move us in Dr. King’s direction in fact hinders us. This policy is affirmative action in higher education.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Tinder and the controversy it creates

Before we get into the dirty details of Tinder, let us first explain the app itself for those who are unfamiliar with it. Tinder is not a dating app. Rather, Tinder is an app used to meet people in your area. By annonymously likeing or rejecting profiles, only shared likes of one another can interact. This annonymous judgment essentially does away with open rejection because you can’t ever know if that “perfect ten” swiped a nope or they simply haven’t had the priviledge of finding you in the Tinder universe yet. It can essentially be used to date, hook-up, befriend, or form any type of relationship you’d like to form with those nearby. The creators of Tinder call it “the new way everyone is choosing to meet new people,” and the New York Times went as far as to say “The application is clearly addictive.” We are conflicted as to how we feel about it, so we have decided to create an open forum of debate which may be able to help you decide to Tinder or not to Tinder. Tinder has different reputations among different people. Which one does it deserve? Tell us what you think of Tinder.

More articles »