UW to host animal research ethics forum Thursday

The University of Wisconsin-Madison will host its next Forum on Animal Research Ethics Thursday, where a University of California-Los Angeles professor will address the use of animals in medical research, according to a university news release.

Neurobiology and physiology professor Dario Ringach, who conducts research on nervous system functions and perception processes, will discuss the ethics of using animals to make advances in human health and medicine. He will address common concerns regarding such work, according to the release.

In another university news release, UW-Madison Research Animal Resource Director and FARE organizer Eric Sandgren said Ringach has made an effort to interact with the public on the animal research issue.

“He is one of the few people out there from the scientific community actually engaging people in conversation about the ethics of animal research no matter their background or stated feelings on the topic, and that is exactly the point of FARE,” Ringach said.

The forum will take place Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Madison Public Library’s Central Branch, located at 201 W. Mifflin St.