By Marina Oliver and Jaime Brackeen

News

Books struggle to set the definite age of adulthood

What does it mean to be a grown-up? Be it the 18-year-old incoming freshman or the 22-year-old senior at the cusp of graduation, adulthood and the pressure to grow up hovers above both. But do any one of us even know what it means to be a grown-up? I’ve spoken to people in their late twenties and almost thirties who scoff when referred to as a grown-up. So clearly, it isn’t the state of holding a professional full-time job, living by yourself in an apartment or seriously seeing someone. But what is it then? We’re told that turning into the milestone of our legal age and entering college puts us into the world of those that have grown up at some level. We’re also told that graduating college and entering what is sadly called the real world is the mark of adulthood. And yet we neither feel nor think of ourselves as grown-ups. 

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

MPD Mifflin statement a poor deterrent

The Madison Police Department released a statement last week that, in short, said the Mifflin Street Block Party is no longer a city sanctioned event, which only proves the MPD lacks confidence in Revelry as an alternative to the block party. Their statement is an insult to the people who have worked so hard on planning Revelry as well as the artists performing there.

Daily Cardinal
News

Style website site offers advice, opportunities

As students of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, we are all so lucky to be receiving a great education at one of the best colleges in the nation. Unfortunately though, we always hear horror stories of happenings after graduation. People we know can’t find jobs, and they have to settle for anything they can get. It’s enough to make us all question our directions and career aspirations.

More articles »