By Jessica Phan

COLUMNS

Projecting the future of virtual reality

Virtual reality isn’t a new fad in the gaming world. Since its earliest inception, there have been hilarious depictions in popular culture of kids entering some futuristic deathtrap masquerading as a VR machine. There has already been many failed examples of trying to immerse players in a virtual environment, such as the quasi-VR Nintendo Virtual Boy that doubled as a retina destroyer.

News

Records and recontextualization

Apparently, history often forgets to question the separation of church and state, assert the presence of Russian spies in the U.S. government during the Cold War, glorify Ronald Reagan above Lincoln and unwrite hip-hop as a contributing part of American culture. Such are the (generalized) recommendations coming from the Texas Board of Education as it awaits the final vote on what has become a buzz-worthy topic over the last month: revisionist history, a touchy subject when it comes to mixing seemingly historical fact with how certain factions may prefer to view history subjectively. What Texas' Board of Education is really trying to do is take the rules of recontextualization—the refitting or reassigning of a work of art into its greater context because of enhanced or simply new perspectives reached over time—and apply them to history.

More articles »