by The Daily Cardinal Editorial Board

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

UW's surplus issue is one of transparency

The state’s Legislative Fiscal Bureau released an audit report April 19, which revealed the University of Wisconsin System had a budget reserve fund of over $1 billion. This surplus has sparked some very heated discussions over the past few weeks, mainly due to the fact that tuition rates  have been increasing by 5.5 percent each year for the past six years, all while the UW System has been amassing a seemingly large reserve.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Commencement speaker decision proves divisive

Last year around this time, The Daily Cardinal Editorial Board penned “UW needs to pay commencement speakers.” The column was primarily in response to the announcement University of Wisconsin -Madison Alumnus Carol Bartz was to be the spring 2012 commencement speaker. The editorial board was not optimistic that the former Yahoo and Autodesk’s CEO would deliver a rousing address. Somewhat paradoxically, this year’s announced commencement speaker, Anders Holm, did not have his credentials so stringently examined by this board.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

More action needed against OWIs

Wisconsin’s German heritage may explain where this perverse drinking culture began, but it cannot be the reason for such lax alcohol laws. There is nothing wrong with putting back a few cold ones after a long day, but did you know Wisconsin leads the nation in binge drinking—which is defined as having five drinks in a sitting for a man and four for a woman? People in Wisconsin are more likely to drive drunk than anywhere else in the United States, and this state has the highest incidence of drunken driving deaths in the United States. Not only that, but minors can legally drink at bars if accompanied by their legal guardian.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Vote yes for new ASM constitution

If you have not voted in the Associated Students of Madison elections, take this as your last second reminder. Read some of the statements and take part, because the people you elect are in control of your dollars and deserve your scrutiny. Pick wisely and take more than 30 seconds to make your decision.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Examining the ethnic studies requirement

The Associated Students of Madison Diversity Committee came away from its Ethnic Studies Roundtable with four main ideas for revamping the Ethnic Studies requirement: increase therequirement to two classes instead of one; require one of the classes be taken in the first two years on campus; have smaller discussion sections; and include service learning as part of the classes.

More articles »