Common Council votes to prohibit street vendors at city conventions

The Madison Common Council passed legislation Wednesday to create a procedure that temporarily prohibits street vending in specific locations throughout the city during conventions.

An upcoming convention at the Alliant Energy Center requested street vending be prohibited during their convention.

According to Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, this ordinance would protect against vendors who would sell similar products sold by vendors at the convention out of vans in its parking lot.

"I would not be surprised if we get more and more of these requests in the future as a condition for attracting visitor conventions who are finding this type of competition very tough," Mayor Paul Soglin said.

Soglin said the street vending competition affects what cities conventions choose to take place in.

"If they can't get folks to pay for the exhibit hall space, they can't afford the convention and won't come to the city," Soglin said. "I think it's fair, reasonable request on their part."

While supporters said the convention would benefit the economy, those opposed to the legislation say that this ordinance will hurt small business owners.

Rosemary Lee, member of the Vending Oversight Committee, said this convention should not take precedence over the Madison citizens who provide services and goods in the form of vending.

"This is going to hurt our small business people that are the backbone of our economy in this city," Lee said. "We have to support first and foremost our small business people."

While the conference's identity could not be disclosed due to a confidentiality clause, "this group will have a tremendous benefit to our economy," Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said. "This is a bottom line requirement for [the convention]."

Although the convention identity cannot be unveiled yet, Mayor Paul Soglin said "You'll love to hear who it is if we land this and it's going to be a lot of fun."