Pivitol Health.jpg
Photo Courtesy of Pivotal Health CEO Sal Braicho

Pivotal Health: Healthcare meets technology in Wisconsin

Company brings accessible medical services to campus.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison University Health Services (UHS) has previously frustrated students due to limited sessions, long wait times and a lack of staff, leading to petitions and demands for more funding. 

However, options for healthcare in Madison expand beyond campus to other companies, including Pivotal Health.

This technology-enabled platform offers another option for healthcare services in Wisconsin through the addition of at-home appointments. Established in Madison by UW-Madison alum and Pivotal Health CEO Sal Braico, Pivotal Health is available to students, with the option for a provider to visit their dormitory or apartment.

The company’s vision is “fueled by 15 years of experience in the healthcare sector and academic background,” Braico told The Daily Cardinal. 

Due to Braico’s history building a career and family here, he said he felt there was “no greater place to start” than Madison.

Braico said he has an in-depth understanding of the existing healthcare system's complexities and inefficiencies.

“Healthcare is 10 years behind other fields when it comes to tech,” Braico said. “People don’t want to call or have to come in to get a doctor appointment, but would rather text.” 

He added his approach breaks down the complex healthcare system into manageable segments, making it more consumer-friendly and easier to navigate.

“At no extra charge, Pivotal Health follows up after your visit to make sure you’re feeling better and to answer your questions,” the company’s website reads.

By integrating these technological solutions, Braico said Pivotal Health “is able to provide the most appropriate level of care to its customers, including referrals to specialists for more critical care”. 

“Pivotal Health has partnered and collaborated with various health businesses in Wisconsin, including Prevea Health,” Braico said, adding that Pivotal is “able to specialize in providing urgent and primary care” through its collaborations.

Furthermore, Pivotal’s technology extends to mental health services. The platform provides a supportive environment where patients can discuss their mental health issues in familiar settings.

Braico said mental health issues frequently arose during patient-clinician interactions throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, prompting Pivotal Health to ensure their clinicians are well-trained in mental health treatments.

This approach is “designed to encourage openness and foster more effective treatment,” he added.

The company's future plans include continuing to recognize area-specific healthcare needs and “expanding out to more urban and university areas,” Braico said.