IMG_4314_0.jpeg

Madison hosts folk rock band, Railroad Earth, this Thursday at the Sylvee

Railroad Earth, originally formed in New Jersey in 2001, is bringing their bluegrass inspired sound to Madison this Thursday, March 5. I had the opportunity to talk with one of the members, Carey Harmon, who plays the drums and sings in the band. After performing for almost 20 years, Harmon had a lot to say about his past experiences with the band, and his hopes for their upcoming album and tour.  

A lifelong musician, Harmon reflected on his time with Railroad Earth, emphasizing the multitude of opportunities he's had to explore different kinds of music with Railroad Earth. “It’s been so amazing to find an audience who appreciate projects you feel great about,” Harmon said. 

Since beginning in 2001, the band's sound has evolved from its original bluegrass focus as the band has become more comfortable with both themselves and their fan base. “As we’ve gotten more comfortable exploring our sound, we’ve embraced our jazz and rock roots,” Harmon said. 

Throughout the interview, Harmon emphasized the ability for the members of Railroad Earth to experiment with new music genres and influence. He talked about how important it is to constantly be evolving as a musician, and describes how Railroad Earth does this, while still maintaining authenticity and staying true to their sound. “As long as you are listening to music, you are growing as a musician," Harmon said. “You’re a reflection of the sounds you take in.”

The band is on the second month of their Winter 2020 tour, and even after nearly 20 years of touring, they don’t seem to be slowing down. “The start of a tour is like the first mile of a run, your body hates you and you’re like ‘why am I doing it’ but then once you get into the rhythm of it you realize why you love it,” Harmon said, when asked about their hectic tour schedule.

Carey Harmon, who actually lived in Madison for a short time in the 1990s, is excited to come back to Madison for the tour this Thursday. “We’re lucky that we seem to be popular in beautiful places, whether that’s Colorado, Northern California, Austin, or Madison,” Harmon said.

Along with being able to see them on March 5 at the Sylvee, fans of Railroad Earth can also look forward to their new album, which is going to be released in late summer or early fall.