Canzi Wang

UHS psychologist and former international student Canzi Wang uses her own experiences to help combat cultural differences in counseling. 

UHS counselor hopes to ease transition for international students

A former international student who earned her doctorate in counseling psychology, University Health Services psychologist Canzi Wang provides counseling for current international UW-Madison students who may face cultural barriers.

Wang hopes to help international students who are struggling with the difficulties of adapting to an entirely new culture and country, according to a university release. Through her time as an international graduate student in New Jersey and Colorado, Wang has personally experienced the challenges of immigration.

“I always go back to a statement I once heard about being a foreigner: ‘It’s like you’re playing a game, but no one tells you the rules until you’ve broken them,’” Wang said in the release.

Since 2000, the number of international students attending American universities has steadily risen. According to the release, almost 12 percent of UW-Madison students are international and nearly half of international students are from mainland China.

Because of cultural differences, Chinese international students may be hesitant to seek support for personal issues until a crisis occurs. Wang and other counselors at UHS offer a private and legally confidential counseling system to combat those differences.

At UHS, Wang works with students who speak Mandarin and English in both group and individual settings. Using her personal and professional experience, Wang works to ease the transition for international students at UW-Madison.

“It’s a privilege to work with college students and join them in their journey of developing their identities, formulating their values, searching for meaning in life and building resilience to face future challenges,” Wang said in the release.