Walker proposes funding increase for job training programs

Gov. Scott Walker announced his intentions Thursday to fund worker training grants for a larger and more diverse workforce in Wisconsin according to a statement.

Walker’s initiative works toward enabling families with economic independence and jobs. It includes grants for job training in fields with high demand, especially for people with disabilities and veterans.

The programs, in which Walker hopes to invest $600,000 from the $34.5 million of Wisconsin Fast Forward proposed funds, highlight technical education, job training and community connection. Dane County would receive a maximum of $100,000 for individuals who have applied.

The Department of Workforce Development is no longer accepting applications for such grants.

“Today I am pleased to announce additional support to prepare more than 200 workers with disabilities for careers across Wisconsin,” Walker said in the statement. “Not only will this help workers, but with their diverse strengths and skills, it will improve a company’s bottom line and spur economic growth.”

Blueprint for Wisconsin elaborates that the funding should be flexible, support Wisconsin business and promote job growth.

The Walker administration also plans to use $850,000 of Blueprint for Prosperity funds to increase the number of businesses involved over a three-year period. Seven businesses are currently participating in community programs such as Project SEARCH, but future plans support 20. Project SEARCH is geared toward bridging the gap between high school and the work world for individuals with special needs.