Ole Joel

Joel Stave earns majority of playing time at quarterback through roshambo dominance

Joel Stave played almost all of the quarterback snaps for the Wisconsin offense Saturday after crushing competitor Tanner McEvoy in a series of rock-paper-scissors matches that determined their playing time.

After Stave replaced McEvoy partway through the recent loss to Northwestern, head coach Gary Andersen implemented a two quarterback system, in which both signal callers share playing time. However, Anderson was unsure how to decide which quarterback would go out for which drive.

“I realized that no competition is more fair than a good ole round of roshambo,” Andersen said. “Seeing these two gunslingers duke it out hand-and-fist on the gridiron allows me to be certain I’m sending the right guy into the huddle.”

The first contest was best two-out-of-three because it determined the official starter, according to offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Andy Ludwig. Every other drive was just a classic winner-take-all.

“Winning that first battle was huge for my confidence,” redshirt junior Joel Stave said. “I came out with paper right away to win the opening drive and that just kind of set the tone for me all game long.”

McEvoy, though disappointed, awarded credit to Stave.

“Joel got me good there. I thought he’d come out aggressive with some scissors, but he went with the softer approach,” McEvoy, also a redshirt junior, told The Daily Cardinal sports desk. “After the opening drive, his tactics really got into my head. You know, it is what it is.”

Though rock-paper-scissors is generally considered to be as fair a game as there is, Stave was able to win all but one of the schoolyard-style drive-preceding competitions. Fans speculated that the more experienced Stave was just being favored by Andersen, however he denied these allegations.

“I just trusted my instincts and stuck with my bread and butter. Tanner is just a rock guy,” Stave explained. “Plain and simple. I know it. He knows it. Everybody knows it. ”

When asked about the starter for next week’s homecoming game against Maryland, Andersen remained mum. However, players have speculated that a certain dessert may aid Andersen in his decision.

“Coach has [running back] Melvin Gordon and [placekicker] Rafael Gaglianone wrastle in some puddin’ after practice every day to decide whether to kick or go for it on fourth-and-shorts,” senior wide-receiver Kenzel Doe said. “I wouldn’t be surprised to see him put the pretty boys in there too.”