Wisconsin Football vs Ohio State

Analyzing Wisconsin’s new quarterback: Tyler Van Dyke

The Badgers will have their third quarterback in three years, and this time they are looking to the Sunshine State for some help.

Wisconsin Badgers football once again has a new quarterback, and this time he’s imported from South Florida.

Tyler Van Dyke, the University of Miami’s starting quarterback for the last three years, announced he was transferring to Wisconsin on Tuesday. With Tanner Mordecai being a redshirt senior, the Badgers opted to nab another experienced quarterback out of the transfer portal. 

Van Dyke is not guaranteed to be the starter at this moment, and it is unclear whether quarterbacks Braedyn Locke and Nick Evers will stick around and compete or seek a better opportunity somewhere else. 

Van Dyke brings a lot to consider as the Badgers’ potential new quarterback with a lot of ups and downs. He started in 28 games for Miami, so he undoubtedly brings experience. Van Dyke got off to a fabulous start his freshman year, bursting onto the scene after taking over for D’eriq King. 

Van Dyke threw for 2,931 yards and 25 touchdowns with just six interceptions. Van Dyke earned the 2021 ACC Rookie of the Year honors, and he ended that season throwing for at least 300 yards and three touchdowns in six straight games, matching what Joe Burrow achieved at LSU the year he won the Heisman. 

But then, difficulties emerged. Miami changed coaching staffs as Manny Diaz was fired, and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee departed with him. 

Lashlee uses the kind of up-tempo, high-octane offense that Wisconsin offensive coordinator Phil Longo specializes in. He was replaced by Josh Gattis, who was known for a run-heavy offense at Michigan. 

Van Dyke did not have as special a season in 2022 as he struggled to succeed in Gattis’ system and suffered an AC joint sprain that caused him to miss a few games. He only threw for 1,844 yards and 10 touchdowns. 

The Connecticut native then got his third offensive coordinator in three years in 2023 with the addition of offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson. Dawson had more experience in Air Raid systems, and Van Dyke showed some flashes of past brilliance to start the season. 

He dazzled in a victory over Texas A&M, throwing for 374 yards and five touchdowns. Then, he threw for 173 yards and three interceptions in a loss to NC State in November. He was benched for true freshman Emory Williams in their next game against Florida State. 

However, it was revealed by ESPN’s Molly McGrath that Van Dyke had been dealing with a rare injury where the skin separated from the muscle and fat layer in his right leg. 

Van Dyke managed to finish the season strong, throwing for 327 yards against Louisville and tossing for 290 yards and two touchdowns against Boston College.

Overall, Van Dyke posted 2,703 yards, 19 touchdowns and 12 interceptions at Miami. Van Dyke has had a complicated career partly marred by injury and constant upheaval in the Miami football building. At his best, Van Dyke has proven to be a dynamic passer who can make big plays and connect with receivers down the field. However, Van Dyke has also proven to be inconsistent and prone to committing unfortunate turnovers. At 6-foot-4, Van Dyke is a big quarterback but lacks the mobility Mordecai possessed. 

Fans would be wise to temper expectations for Van Dyke compared to their sky-high expectations for Mordecai. Van Dyke, first and foremost, needs to be healthy. If he is, he has proven he can be successful, especially in an offensive system like Longo’s. 

The Badgers will also have to support him by bringing in more weapons from the transfer portal. Outside of Will Pauling, Wisconsin lacks a consistent threat at the wide receiver position. Van Dyke clearly has potential, but he needs health, cohesion and weaponry in order to truly succeed in Madison.