Between the pipes

Rumpel

Between the pipes

In many ways the Wisconsin men's hockey team's goaltenders define the team itself.

Both are young, inexperienced and face questions about whether or not they will be able to remain competitive over the rigors of a full WCHA conference season. And like the Badgers themselves, freshman goaltenders Landon Peterson and Joel Rumpel are eager to prove those critics wrong.

Understandably, there were plenty of questions during the offseason about Wisconsin coming into the year relying on two rookie net minders and a junior (goaltender Mitch Thompson) with a combined zero games of college hockey experience. Navigating the waters of the WCHA is turbulent enough for veterans, let alone two goaltenders who don't have the game experience to know what they are up against.

Peterson and Rumpel both got their first taste of college hockey last weekend against Northern Michigan, and Badger fans got their first look at two players whose play will go a long way in determining the success level Wisconsin attains this season.

As you would expect from a pair of freshmen, it took both goalies until after the first periods of their respective starts against the Wildcats to truly get settled in, according to UW volunteer assistant coach Jeff Sanger, who works primarily with the Badgers' goalies.

""They both came out strong and settled down once they took their first shots,"" Sanger said. ""First periods were a little shaky and then once they both got that under their belt they were fine.""

Once they did get settled in, both goaltenders played well in their debuts—Peterson stopping 16 of 19 shots on Friday and Rumpel 31 of 33 Saturday. The efforts that Wisconsin got in goal were the reason the team was able to stay in both games after falling behind 2-0 early on both nights.

""Our goalies definitely kept us in the games,"" junior forward Derek Lee said after Saturday's game. ""Both Peterson last night and Rumpel tonight. They both had outstanding games.""

""I was pretty nervous before the game [on Friday], but nerves always turn into energy for me walking out on the ice,"" Peterson said. ""I just kept telling myself to control the things that I can control and not worry about everybody watching you or anything; just play your game.""

While their performances are certainly cause for optimism moving forward, Peterson and Rumpel have plenty of room to grow as players according to Sanger—who himself was a standout goaltender at Colorado College from 1998 to 2002. He is working with both of them in practice to help them do just that.

""Landon is a patient, aggressive kid and he's quick in the crease,"" Sanger said. ""But he can become a little too aggressive and over move.""

""Joel is a bigger kid and takes up more room in the net,"" he added. ""So we work on the fundamental side. He has a lot of raw talent and we're working with him on stay on top of the crease and being aggressive in battling for each puck.""

As head coach Mike Eaves pointed out, while the performances against Northern Michigan were encouraging, as freshman, both Peterson and Rumpel will have to strive for consistency in maintaining that level of play.

""It was good to see what they did, but there's that consistency level that has to be there weekend in, weekend out,"" Eaves said. ""What we saw was nice to see. Now, every time you get between the pipes, you've got to do it again.""

Coming into the start of the season the main questions facing this Badgers team were both between the pipes. Critics had their doubts about whether two freshmen would be able to reliably shoulder the load in goal over the course of a full college hockey season. Both Peterson and Rumpel took steps towards silencing their doubters last weekend against NMU. They are confident in their abilities to backstop this Wisconsin team to success.

""Come game time you just have to brush [doubters] off,"" Rumpel said. ""We wanted to prove [our critics] wrong and show them we have what it takes to play just as well as any other goalie in the league.""

""I'm confident in all three of us goalies and nobody should have worries. So I think all the critics can,"" Peterson said, pausing as he chose his words carefully, ""stop with the antics.""