Badgers ready for first true test of the season against UND

Turnbull: Blayre Turnbull is one of the promising freshmen players that will see plenty of ice time for Wisconsin this weekend.

The Wisconsin women's hockey team (0-0 WCHA, 2-0 overall) would have been hard-pressed to start off its 2011-'12 season any better than it did two weekends ago.

The Badgers demolished Lindenwood in their season opening games Sept. 23 and 25, including blowouts of 11-0 and 13-0. The Badgers also outshot their opponents 132-14 during the two games.

The Badgers face much stiffer competition this upcoming weekend with a double header against No. 7 North Dakota, as they attempt to extend their 29-game game unbeaten streak (27-0-2).

""Looking forward to the month of October, as we look at our opponents, we have eight quality games coming up, and it'll certainly be a great test for our hockey team,"" UW head coach Mark Johnson said. ""For the new players, it's going to be a big step up just in regards to the competition you are playing.""

While it is apparent that the Fighting Sioux will be a good challenge for his team, Johnson doesn't want his team to peak too early, understanding that it will need to progress throughout this month and the season.

""Hopefully at the end of the month we are a better team than we are this next Friday, Saturday, and Sunday,"" Johnson said.

Wisconsin lost its captain and leading point scorer from a season ago in Patty Kazmaier Award-winnner Meghan Duggan, but senior forward Hilary Knight looks more than ready to pick up where Duggan left off.

Knight, who is already the womens hockey program's all-time leader in goals, picked up her fifth career hat trick Sept. 25 against Lindenwood and, as this year's team captain, looks to lead the Badgers moving forward.

""Her presence and her work habits speak very loudly in regards to what she expects her teammates to do,"" Johnson said. ""She's in a position to lead. In this position right now she's really grabbed the baton and is moving forward with it. She seems very comfortable.""

Upperclassmen like Knight and junior forward Brianna Decker, will be asked to lead the Badgers, but Johnson stressed that the team's freshmen will play a vital role on the team this season as well.

""[The freshmen] are all going to play, they're all going to get an opportunity to play,"" Johnson said.

He made specific mention of forward Blayre Turnbull as a freshman he believes is capable of making a significant impact.

""She has a chance to jump out of the shoots here and get off to a real good start,"" Johnson said.

With five assists and six total points in her first two career games as a Badger, Turnbull is definitely rewarding her coach's faith early on.

Winning the National Championship a season ago hasn't led to a sense of complacency among members of the women's hockey team, but Johnson understands that they need Badger fans to come out and make the Kohl Center an intimidating environment for visiting teams.

""[The Kohl Center] is a special place,"" Johnson said. ""I think really what makes us special is the city and the fans that we have.""