Home sweet home

The Wisconsin women's tennis team hopes to remain undefeated in Big Ten play with a sweep of Indiana and Purdue this weekend at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium.  

The Badgers (3-0 Big Ten, 12-4 overall) are off to their best start since 1996, when they won the Big Ten Conference championship. 

Head Coach Patti Henderson likes her team's chances this weekend. 

\[A weekend sweep] is a goal for sure. There's no question we would like to win both matches,"" Henderson said. ""We know we have to come out ready, prepared, mentally ready and very disciplined on the court with how we compete. We also know that Indiana and Purdue are very good."" 

One key to the Badgers' success is the performance of junior Linde Mues. Henderson said she believes Mues is the most improved player on the team since last season because of her mentality and maturity on the court. 

""That's been the biggest thing to allow her to perform more consistently and to allow her to enjoy herself more, too,"" Henderson said. ""She's proven herself and done well even in the matches she's lost."" 

Mues said she hopes to continue her stellar play this weekend and add to her five- match winning streak at No. 2 singles. 

""I'm definitely more consistent,"" Mues said. ""It's just a matter of getting your mental game together."" 

Perhaps the biggest surprise this year has been the outstanding doubles play by the freshman duo of Lindsay Martin and Katie McGaffigan. The doubles team is 13-1 heading into this weekend, which includes a win over Stanford University. Both players said they feel college tennis is a lot different than the high school or junior ranks. 

""It requires a lot more maturity because you're playing for your team and you're playing for your school and not just yourself,"" Martin said. 

Fellow freshman teammate Katie McGaffigan agreed. 

""You have to stay mentally tough throughout the whole match instead of just going in little streaks.""she said.  

The Badgers will have to keep impervious minds if they expect to sweep the weekend series and improve their Big Ten record to 5-0. Henderson said she believes it will take a team effort to beat Indiana and Purdue on consecutive days. 

""Every single person has to step on the court expecting to have a dogfight and prepare to give everything that they have to come out with the victory,"" Henderson said.