by Kate Krebs

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

'Focused deterrence' has positive impact

Since Nov. 2011, the Madison Police Department has been working with the Community Against Violence Team as part of their focused deterrence program, which is meant to offer support to violent repeat offenders while making it clear their violence and law-breaking will not be tolerated. It includes close monitoring of the convicts once they are released from prison and harsh punishment for future infractions.

Daily Cardinal
CAMPUS NEWS

Student veterans need more resources

The number of student veterans in the University of Wisconsin System has doubled since 2005, and is expected to continue to increase. While UW-Milwaukee is home to the most student veterans receiving GI benefits in the state, educating more than double the number enrolled at UW-Madison, all UW schools are involved. This has caused the UW System Board of Regents to give the situation more attention than before.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Family planning an economic investment

The United Nations Population Fund declared family planning a universal right for the very first time in its annual report last week. To avoid the usual mad free-for-all that generally follows any discussion of reproductive rights, it is important to note the UN does not include abortion among methods of birth control.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Deceptive, misleading ads unacceptable

The current trend for political campaign ads is bringing an average person in front of the camera. They’ll talk about their values, how their favorite candidate matches them perfectly and then they will openly criticize the opponent.

Daily Cardinal
CAMPUS NEWS

Student loan figures are misleading

Borrowing has become a slippery slope, particularly among the college-aged American. In their senior year of high school, students are trained to fill out the FAFSA as scrupulously as possible in order to get federal financial aid. Then, throughout their college career, they continue to accept both federal and private loans on a yearly basis. Add in graduate school for the truly ambitious, and that’s up to nearly a decade of borrowing money for education with little or no income to supplement it.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

New police safety fees jeopardize the right to free speech

The Madison Police Department has enacted new rules surrounding public protesting and high-volume gatherings in the city. They ask that events requesting additional police involvement to maintain safety pay a fee of $31.79 per officer, with a two hour minimum, and $15 extra per squad car. Any overtime is charged at one and a half times the officers’ pay rate plus benefits.

More articles »