More summer classes should be offered

Summertime is sacred to the student. It’s a chance to relax, work extra hours to save up some money and maybe even go on vacation.

But the school-free months may be at risk now that University of Wisconsin-Madison officials are beginning discussion on how to expand the summer school program.

The automatic response to sacrificing summer vacation is typically a resounding groan, but it seems like having the option to complete more coursework over the summer is actually a really good idea.

Summer school at UW-Madison is not quite like summer school in high school. It isn’t just for people that may have failed a course, it’s for anyone and everyone looking to learn a little more or get degree credits in faster. Though it may be detrimental to students’ work experience, it allows students a great amount of freedom with their summer months and can save both time and money.

The program’s greatest criticism is if students take a full course load year round they will not be able to complete the job or internship opportunities they might normally engage in, leading to younger graduates with less work experience. This can be a huge problem in areas like business and marketing, where hands-on experience is one of the only ways to gain a reputation in the field.

However, students who take courses over the summer term are not required to take any certain amount. They can take three credits or 12, the choice is their own. And if a student chooses to take one three-credit course, they would have no problem working at the same time, especially since the program offers online courses as well.

The schedule is very flexible, and with these online options students can go on family vacations or internships abroad while completing the classes they need for their degree. There is even a summer study abroad program, where students travel to different countries over the summer and still get some credits out of the way.

Completing the coursework is probably the most attractive part of summer school for students. It can be difficult to get every requirement done on time, and with the national average of four-year graduates at a very low rate of 31 percent, it is clear students need this extra option to finish college in the desired timeframe.

Even a few extra credits can make the difference between four-and-a-half and five years. One or two classes over the summer can also reduce the number of credits a student has to take during the year so he can achieve a higher GPA, increasing his ability to attend graduate school if he chooses.

Students still have to pay for these summer credits, but they may save money in the long run when they don’t have to pay for housing and other fees. The cost of attendance at UW-Madison is currently approaching $24,000, according to the Student Center. Students who spend five, six or even seven years here can expect their total cost to far exceed $100,000, and this is a price tag many cannot afford.

Condensing their education by taking advantage of summer school opportunities will allow students to finish in fewer years, begin working in their preferred field sooner, and save them from a lifetime of student loan debt. There really is no negative to this program. It is not required and doesn’t infringe on students’ other opportunities. Hopefully UW-Madison officials will find a way to offer even more classes, and maybe provide some kind of incentive—reduced cost?—for summer school participants.

Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.