By Adam Wolf

Daily Cardinal
News

Wednesday Morning Hangover: Elton's killing those bikers, Smalls

I was planning on running Crazylegs this weekend, but then I looked online and saw I’d be paying $40 to most likely finance Barry Alvarez’s bloated salary, so I said screw it. But before coming to that decision, I did some reading up on the event and found that Ron Dayne was the race’s Grand Marshal in 2008, which is the least surprising thing ever. I feel embarrassed for Dayne when he’s introduced at Camp Randall every year just because he has nothing better to do, or when he’s signing autographs at whatever shitty appliance store  happens to have its grand opening that week. No appearance is too insignificant for Dayne to extract every last ounce out of his 15 minutes. His Heisman Trophy is displayed at a goddamn Buffalo Wild Wings for fuck’s sake! What, Chili’s wasn’t low-brow enough?

Daily Cardinal
News

Wednesday Morning Hangover: from Disney doom to 3 Doors Down

National news has been quite active for the last week-plus, and for the most part, I think the media outlets did a commendable job with their coverage—with the notable exception of CNN, which has covered the Boston bombing with all the delicateness of a monkey tossing around its own feces. I can’t help but preemptively cringe while the cable networks take the time to politicize the bombings in the dumbest ways possible. “You know,” some fool on MSNBC will say, “This wouldn’t have happened if our country had stricter immigration laws.” While we could be celebrating the resilient human spirit in the face of such tragedy, leave it to some talking head on cable to try and divide the nation five minutes later.

Daily Cardinal
News

Wednesday Morning Hangover: Adam's lawn has got it going on

With warm(ish) temperatures arriving earlier this week, it feels like summer is near, or as I like to call it, the transition from bitching -about-the-cold to bitching-about- sweating. Seriously, I could have four people fanning me like I’m Cleopatra and I’d still sweat walking the 10 minutes to class. I really wish sweat was a vestigial trait like wisdom teeth, or an appendix you could just opt out of or have surgically removed. I’d give my life savings to pay for that procedure.

Daily Cardinal
News

Wednesday Morning Hangover—Exorcism: Public Service Announcements

Before getting into the rest of the column, I’d be remiss if I didn’t first tip my cap to the late Roger Ebert, one of the foundational figures not just for film critics, but for aspiring writers everywhere. In a world where Old Guard writers like Mitch Albom get paid millions to write books that make postmenopausal women soil their granny panties, it was refreshing to see Ebert remain relevant to his dying day, embracing new media platforms and pumping out even more content than he did in his healthier years. He’ll be missed dearly, no smarm intended.

Daily Cardinal
News

Wednesday Morning Hangover: High like paper, Adam is fly like planes

Unless you’ve had your head up your ass for the past week (not unlikely if you were in PCB), you know by now Rebecca Blank will be the new chancellor at University of Wisconsin. Which means… something. She’s expected to improve the school’s economic outlook, I think. As a columnist who specializes in cheap dick jokes and unnecessary cursing, I’m not qualified to speculate on what this news really means. In all honesty, I had no idea David Ward was British until over a year into his interim chancellorship. I am truly a terrible representation of the university.

Daily Cardinal
News

Wednesday Morning Hangover: Scream: why kids should avoid horror

Hey, it’s March Madness! The one time of the year where everyone becomes a manic basketball fan because low-stakes gambling and day drinking are involved! If you give a shit (you shouldn’t), I’m picking Miami to win it all. I’m definitely one of those insufferable people that will brag about what great foresight I have to make a correct pick. It’s always great to say, “See, I told you guys South Dakota State would beat Michigan. Just call me Nostradamus.”

Daily Cardinal
News

Wednesday Morning Hangover: Just say no to grandpa humor

I read an article about last Thursday’s fire at Medical Sciences—which apparently closed driving routes along Henry Mall and Linden Drive, to which my biggest takeaway was, my god, Henry Mall has actually been open all this time? It might just be me, but I felt like that area has been under construction since the Clinton administration. I remember it being closed when I toured campus in high school. And it was STILL closed three years later when I had a class out on Linden. But that thing’s open now? I have the sudden urge to run through Henry Mall and up the Ag Hall stairs like I’m Rocky.

Daily Cardinal
News

Wednesday Morning Hangover: Grandmother Willow makes me hate Arbor Day

I decided to watch the Oscars Sunday and thought they started at 7 rather than 7:30 p.m. This was a brutal mistake, as I was subjected to catch most of the Red Carpet show, which made me want to tear my eyeballs out. I guess the consensus was that Jennifer Lawrence was the best dressed. That’s the same Jennifer Lawrence who later tripped over her mountain of a dress and faceplanted on the steps when she accepted her Best Actress award, perfectly illustrating the absurdity of the Red Carpet show. If I’m ever invited to the Oscars, I’m going to show up in a T-shirt and jeans just to lampoon the Red Carpet show. And then when the TV host asks me, “Who are you wearing? Dior? Armani?” I’d be all like, “The hell if I know. Probably some 10-year-old kid from a sweatshop in Indonesia.” Movie from your childhood that still kicks ass “Pocahontas” (1995)—What? Disney made a movie that portrays women as subservient and perpetuates stereotypes about Native Americans? YOU DON’T FUCKING SAY. Disney knows that we’ll all still happily lap up their shit anyway, and “Pocahontas” was no exception. Like every other five year old, you better believe I hummed along to that “Colors of the Wind” song and strong-armed my mom into buying me and my sister those Meeko and Flit placemats for our dinner table. I liked that movie a lot, except for the parts with the talking tree, Grandmother Willow. That thing terrified me. For about a week after I saw that movie, I would wake up in the middle of the night in cold sweats, thinking about her freakish face while she dispensed her stupid brand of Confucianism. God, I just Google imaged her and she still gives me the chills. I wish the Virginia Company would have just sawed her down and used her for firewood. Shit that salvages an otherwise shitty day During peak hours at Memorial Union or the SAC, it’s borderline impossible to get an elevator all to yourself with so many people arriving in the building all at the same time. But when you do? Ecstasy! It gives you a solid 20 seconds of privacy to do whatever the hell you want without being judged. You can sing, talk to yourself, fart, send a Snapchat—virtually anything. But always stay alert in case some random asshole decides to pick up the elevator on the second floor and unexpectedly catches you while you’re in the middle of an air guitar solo from the Rolling Stones’ “Satisfaction.” And if you also farted in the elevator before you got caught air guitaring. That would really be embarrassing. Not that I’d know from personal experience or anything. First-World Hate of the week The week’s hate is reserved for the tangled mess your headphones become when you put them in your backpack. Whenever I go to the library, I wind up spending the first 10 minutes playing a demented version of Cat’s Cradle with my headphones. You think they’d have headphone cases or something to prevent them from getting tangled. /Googles “headphone cases,” realizes they exist/Sees they’re selling anywhere from $15 to $45 /Says “fuck that” and stops bitching about his cheap-ass Wal-Mart brand headphones. Song that will make you wet your pants with excitement “Head Over Feet” (Alanis Morissette, 1995)—While a lot of successful albums often have a few dud songs to suffer through, Alanis’ breakthrough album, “Jagged Little Pill,” contains nothing but hot track after hot track. With hits like “You Oughta Know,” “Ironic” and “Hand in My Pocket,” the album still receives consistent radio play nearly 20 years later. My roommate has the “Jagged Little Pill” CD, and this past summer he would occasionally blast “Head Over Feet” whenever we were driving in his Subaru. You know how sometimes at the end of movies the final scene features a shot of the protagonist triumphantly driving their convertible off into the proverbial sunset? That’s exactly how I felt riding shotgun in the car when this song came on. The wind blowing our hair, the sun soaking our skin and Alanis’ golden voice pronouncing our promising future. We felt so damn cool in that instant. In actuality, we were two dudes in their early 20s blasting Alanis Morissette while riding in a freaking Subaru. So while I wouldn’t be surprised if more than a few people gave us sketchy looks, that didn’t stop us from believing we were George Clooney and Brad Pitt reveling in another successful casino heist. Unedited moronoic facebook status from a kid from my high school “snow snow go away come back never damn it I shud b in california damn it or afghanistan one of the two” You know, they say Afghanistan is the new Panama City Beach for spring breakers. Book your tickets now! Be sure to email ajwolf2@wisc.edu to share in his fright from the colors of the wind.

Daily Cardinal
News

Wednesday Morning Hangover: Worshipping the Porcelain God

We’re already on Week 5 of the semester, and now I’m forced to do real work, which is bullshit. Those movies about college told me college was this beer-soaked oasis where you “can really find yourself!” Well, somebody needs to tell Old Man Ward that we’re not finding ourselves by reading this 30-page scholarly journal article that’s written in four-point font. I’m not here to learn, dammit, I’m here to rock and roll!

More articles »