167188643_1879157705577082_969292120187086488_n.jpg

Put a spark in your resume: Join the Institute of Electric and Electronics Engineers

Are you an Engineering major looking for an intriguing and easy way to boost your resume? Consider joining the Institute of Electric and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).

IEEE considers itself a social and professional networking organization for those interested in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences. 

Brandon Niles, a third year student majoring in both Computer Engineering and Computer Science, explained that what brought him to IEEE was the realization that most employers are seeking candidates who expose themselves to their field of study outside of the classroom. 

“IEEE provides that exposure in an entertaining and relaxed environment that has broadened my knowledge as a computer engineer,” Brandon said.

IEEE offers involvement through company showcases, networking events, outreach programs, projects and socials. 

Through the company showcases, members are able to listen to speakers from local and national companies, learn about what they do and what career opportunities are available to them. They can then also submit their resume into an “exclusive resume pool” where companies looking to recruit will have access to it. 

IEEE provides a way for students to “prepare for successful careers by building the skills and connections you don’t always receive in the classroom,” Niles said. 

According to IEEE, projects are a separate group within the organization that give members an opportunity to think creatively, work collaboratively and construct member-suggested ideas such as a breathalyzer or solar-powered cell phone charger. This is an opportunity for members to not only add to their resume, but gain skills in PCB design and H/W and S/W design. 

Niles also emphasized the social importance and benefits of these projects. “In the industry it’s pretty rare to work on a project alone, IEEE provides the opportunity to collaborate with fellow engineers and build interpersonal skills that are essential to becoming a successful engineer.”

Aside from working with peers, IEEE also offers outreach programs and promotes volunteering by going to local middle schools or high schools to help students get ready for their Science Olympiad competitions. 

For Niles, it is opportunities like these that give IEEE, “its ability to bridge the gap between the concepts I learn in class and how they can apply in future career settings.”

Between collaborative projects, volunteering and networking, IEEE is a great choice for future engineers looking to not only boost their resume, but gain valuable field experience. 

To learn more about IEEE and how to get involved you can visit their webpage: https://ieee.slc.engr.wisc.edu/index.html