College News

UW System schools listed in updated US News and World Report rankings

UW-Milwaukee’s school of engineering ranked 134th nation-wide and eighth regionally. 

Image By: Cameron Lane-Flehinger

US News and World Report released their list of best colleges Monday, promoting responses from system universities.

UW-Madison was the only system school to be ranked inside the top 200 of the most broad rankings at No. 45, with the rest of the public institutions in Wisconsin ranking higher in more localized subcategories.

UW-Milwaukee ranked 134th nationwide in engineering programs for public institutions while many other schools in the state found their stride in the “Best Regional Universities Midwest” shown below:

Best Regional Universities Midwest Public/Private

28. UW-La Crosse

33. UW-Eau Claire

53. UW-Stevens Point

61. UW-Whitewater

72. UW-Stout

95. (tie) UW-Green Bay

95. (tie) UW-Platteville

Best Regional Universities Midwest Public

3. UW-La Crosse

4. (tie) UW-Eau Claire

10. UW-Stevens Point

11. UW-Whitewater

14. UW-Stout

24. (tie) UW-Green Bay

24. (tie) UW-Green Bay

UW-La Crosse saw a four-spot bump in the rankings this year, which the university's administration said was due to the daily “great things” coming from staff and students.

“We’re fortunate to be moving up in these prestigious rankings,” UW-La Crosse Chancellor Joe Gow said. “We are particularly pleased to see our reputation rising among comparable universities.”

UW-La Crosse ranked just behind the University of Northern Iowa and Truman State in the “Best Regional Universities Midwest Public” category. 

US News and World Report use a variety of factors to assess create their rankings including class size, alumni giving and college entrance test scores. 

More information on the publication’s methodology can be found here