news_campus.jpg

UW-Madison is being sued by PEOPLE program participant who claims sexual misconduct occurred and was not handled by university. 

UW-Madison sued over sexual misconduct allegations by PEOPLE program

Following allegations of sexual misconduct, a participant of the Pre-College Enrichment Program for Learning Experience filed a lawsuit against UW-Madison. 

The plaintiff in the case, identified as Jane Doe because she is under 18 years old, accused another student in the PEOPLE program of directing inappropriate sexual behavior at her and other female students. The student accused, who is also under 18 years old, is identified as “M” in the lawsuit.

After it was reported M inappropriately touched and talked to a female student in summer 2017, she was allowed to return to the program the following year, the lawsuit claimed. 

Doe said in summer 2018, M groped her in a swimming pool. When Doe reported this incident, there was no action taken by the program — similar to the previous year. Less than a month later, Doe said M assaulted her again, pinning her to a bed. Doe reported this incident, and M was suspended and sent home from the program. 

The lawsuit claimed UW-Madison was aware of “a pattern of predatory assaults on female students” and refused to act on the reports. 

UW-Madison Director of News and Media Relations Meredith McGlone said while the university treats sexual harassment and sexual assault with the “utmost seriousness,” she is unable to comment given that it is an ongoing lawsuit. 

“Our PEOPLE program staff are committed to ensuring all students can thrive in a learning and supportive environment with professional supervision,” the PEOPLE program told the families of the individuals involved in the lawsuit Tuesday.