news_matthewrittner_mpd.jpg

Officer is the third member of the Milwaukee police force to have died in the line of duty since June. 

Evers lowers flags to honor slain officer and war veteran Matthew Rittner

Gov. Tony Evers ordered flags at half-mast in honor of Milwaukee police officer Matthew Rittner who was shot and killed Wednesday morning. 

“Today, I ordered flags to be flown at half-staff in honor of Officer Matthew Rittner honor of Officer Matthew Rittner, of the Milwaukee Police Department, who died in the line of duty yesterday," he said in a tweet. "I join the people of Wisconsin to mourn the loss of a life dedicated to public service."

The 17-year police veteran was a part of the department’s Tactical Enforcement Unit. While conducting a search warrant on a home in the south side of Milwaukee, the officer was struck by gunfire and taken to the hospital where he died, sergeant Sheronda Grant said in a news release Wednesday night. 

"Officer Rittner is the third officer we have lost in the line of duty during a short eight-month period after going approximately 22 years without a line of duty death," Grant said.

Six months ago, officer Michael Michalski was fatally shot while trying to arrest a convicted felon wanted on drug and domestic violence offenses. Last June, 23-year-old Officer Charles Irvine Jr. was killed in a squad car crash during the high-speed pursuit of a suspect. 

After the passing of 35-year-old Rittner, several politicians released statements expressing their grievances. 

“We need all residents of this community, all residents of this state, to be thankful and appreciative of every single law enforcement official in this state," Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett told reporters Wednesday.

Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul joined his fellow elected officials in praising law enforcement’s courage. 

"I join all of Wisconsin in mourning the loss of one of our brave law enforcement officers," Kaul said in a statement. "Those who put on the uniform every day put their safety at risk to protect others and to save lives."

Kaul also said the department of justice would be assisting with the investigation of Rittner’s death. 

“Officer Rittner always placed his community and county first. We as a community are made better by these men and women who dedicate their lives in the service of others,” Rep. Ken Skowronski, R-Franklin, said in a statement. 

In addition to being a 17-year member of The Milwaukee Police Department Rittner was also a decorated Marine, having serving multiple tours in Iraq. 

Jordan Fricke was arrested for the shooting of Rittner. The case will be presented to the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office for formal charges.

Funeral arrangements for Rittner have not been announced at this time.