Lake Mendota’s 40-year-old pier system will be updated with student fundraiser donations.

UW-Madison community will benefit from marina renovations

The Hoofer Marina Project is now underway, set to remodel the Memorial Union lakefront marina funded by nearly $2 million in donations.

After 40 years, the Memorial Union lakefront marina will see new changes. UW-Madison students, staff and visitors can expect to see a new green space and promenade along the lakeshore path, a davit crane to transfer boats to and from the water, a new deck and four new piers after the renovations.

“The marina project is essentially a complete redesign on the lakefront,” said Mills Botham, Wisconsin Union president.

The project focuses on creating a safe and sustainable lakefront, said Wisconsin Union Communication Director Shauna Breneman. The addition of a new green space, which will act as a filtration system for water runoff as well as water circulators beneath the pier system, will help reduce the growth of algae.

The non-taxpayer-funded project relies solely on donations, which, according to Botham, were fundraised by students.

“The project has been student-run and student-coordinated from the get-go,” said Botham. “There were student leaders involved in the design, fundraising and implementation.”

With the marina existing as a place accessible to all UW-Madison community members, Botham said the project will give the outdated pier system a necessary revamp, allowing current and future generations to enjoy outdoor recreation at the university.

“The new marina will make it easier for [UW-Madison] to help students and community members get out on the water,” Botham said.

The Wisconsin Union team expects the Hoofer Marina Project to be completed in early summer 2019.