In a primary without an incumbent, four opponents vie for a spot on the ballot

In the race for a seat on Dane County’s Board of Supervisors, four candidates are gearing up for the primary election in District 6 on Tuesday, Feb. 20. Yogesh Chawla, Pam Porter, Heather Driscoll and Britt Cudaback hope to gather the votes to proceed to the general election on April 3.

District 6 encompasses the northern border of Lake Monona, including all of Williamson Street. While not part of the UW-Madison campus, the candidates all stressed improved transportation and affordable housing that would help students.

Yogesh Chawla hopes to take on the racial disparities in the area and champions a clean-lake initiative focused on fighting phosphorus pollution. Recently, the Four Lakes Green Party endorsed him, saying that Chawla’s “commitment to bold progressive values, impressive command of the issues, and track record of community activism set him apart in this race.”

Pam Porter, a research manager with the Center for Integrated Agriculture at UW-Madison, is hoping to fight for the values that she thinks the current gubernatorial and presidential administrations have left behind. Porter hopes to use her agricultural experience to champion clean water and lake initiatives.

Heather Driscoll has experience in the field of sustainability solutions and energy efficiency from her previous work at Seventhwave, a nonprofit energy consulting firm focused on sustainability. Driscoll, in an interview with the Cap Times, said she’s running because “we need to amplify the voices of women and people of color and bring fresh ideas and new people to politics.”

Britt Cudaback, chief of staff for state Rep. Melissa Sargent, is hoping to bring a new progressive voice to the sixth district. Cudaback emphasized her political experience working in the state assembly. Cudaback also aims to tackle issues that affect the city’s homeless and LGBTQ community.

Elections for state Supreme Court also take place tomorrow. Find out where you can register and vote here.