Three candidates are running to fill a vacant seat on the state Supreme Court; Wisconsinites will hit the polls tomorrow to pick their two favorite candidates to run in the April general election.

What you need to know about Tuesday’s elections

Voters will trudge through the rain tomorrow to cast their ballots to fill a newly vacant seat on the state Supreme Court. In an off-year election without much publicity, The Daily Cardinal is here to help students figure out how they can cast their ballot.

Who are the candidates?

The candidates for the vacant seat left by retiring Justice Michael Gableman include Madison attorney Tim Burns, Milwaukee County Circuit Judge Rebecca Dallet and Sauk County Circuit Court judge Michael Screnock. Though the judicial primary is non-partisan, Burns and Dallet have received the backing of Democratic groups while conservative groups have lined up behind Screnock.

Where do I vote?

The city of Madison now has a website in which any voter can plug in their address to find their nearest polling location.

What if I am not registered to vote or need to update my info?

Election day registration and registration updating are available at all polling stations. It is necessary, however, to bring proper proof of residency which could include a “lease, bank statement, cell phone bill or other official government documents, and can be on paper or an electronic device,” according to the Wisconsin Election Commission.

What Type of ID do I need?

If you live in-state, a valid Wisconsin driver’s license is all you need to vote. Other forms of acceptable ID include a U.S. Passport, unexpired Wisconsin driver’s license receipt, veterans ID card, tribal ID card, US Military photo ID or card, student voter ID card with proof of enrollment or a certificate of naturalization issued within the last 2 years. Wiscards are not valid voter IDs under state law.

What if I do not have any of the ID’s mentioned above?

You can ask for a provisional ballot at your designated polling station. However, valid ID must be presented to your municipal clerk's office by 4 p.m. on Feb. 23.

When do the polls open and for how long?

Polling places are open on Election Day, Feb. 20, from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.

I am an out-of-state college student at UW-Madison. How can I vote?

Ensure you have resided in Wisconsin for more than 28 days and then act quickly! A university-issued Voter ID is available on request at the Wiscard Office in Union South from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. In addition to this ID, proof of enrollment, such as a transcript, is required at the polling station.

What’s the significance of this election?

The state Supreme Court is currently controlled 5-2 by conservatives, but the majority is losing one of their justices in Gableman. Although control of the court does not hang in the balance of this election, a Burns or Dallet victory in the April general election would mark a definitive shift in the judiciary’s balance of power, while many state conservatives see Screnock as their man to hang onto a safe buffer in tight votes.

What other things are on the ballot?

Dane County Board of Supervisors races in Districts 6, 11 and 15 are also on the ballot. For more information on those candidates click here.