Wisconsin Hip-Hop Fest features talented local artists

For the second consecutive year, the Majestic Theatre hosted the Wisconsin Hip-Hop Fest, with clear satisfaction from the artists, organizers and fans. The concert featured a strong lineup of performers from both the Madison and Milwaukee area, including the headlining set from popular artist WebsterX. Each artist infused a full-house Majestic Theatre with growing excitement as stragglers continued to file in well into the show. Every beat, bar, chant and stomp kept the show riveting to say the least, with ample moments worthy of highlighting.

The show opened with Broadway Muse, an artist originally from Chicago now bringing us music from Madison. She swept the crowd with swift bars after opening with the track “Make Me Rich,” which she describes as the beginning of her journey to share her joy. Those who entered late certainly missed a treat. There is much to expect from an artist who enters every stage in proud black girl glamour going into 2017.

Following Broadway’s set was the small yet striking ZED KENZO from Milwaukee. The rapper came with wide presence and took moments during songs to intimately kneel down and lean closer to the front-row fans. ZED performed a recently released and self-produced track, “Evanescence,” demonstrating an admirable self-fueled drive to make art and share it with no excuse.

Arguably, one of the entire show’s most respectable moments came from Minneapolis-grown and Madison-developed artist CRASHprez. He brought awareness to the ordering of performances, proclaiming that we cannot take steps forward in respecting our womxn as artists if we are taking two steps back in scheduling their sets furthest from the headline. He reminded us of the social implications overarching our lives and choices. CRASHprez brought both Broadway Muse and ZED KENZO back for encores, giving late fans a redeeming moment to hear their music.

CRASHprez is an artist known for his unhinged commentary in his music and onstage interludes about all that is troubling with the world. While rapping, he galvanized the crowd to chant the phrase, “Love yo people, fuck that evil, no one breathing is illegal,” which continued to the end of his stage time. He and DJ Hitmayne kept everyone well-entertained as they made instrumental selections using a pair of dice. The crowd didn’t know what was next, and neither did CRASHprez.

Majestic Theatre guests also enjoyed anticipated performances from Reggie Bonds and Sincere Life from Milwaukee, and more music from the band with the strongest OG vibes of the show, dumate. The Madison band performed with the largest setup of the night, including a DJ, drummer, bassist and the two MCs on the mic. Their music felt heavily inspired by Tupac, offering a pure hip-hop sound that fit right in with the show. Gerald Walker, from Milwaukee, respectfully acknowledged all the artists before him. His set stood out even more than the bright orange sweater he wore. He performed what was arguably his most thought-provoking track, “The Things We Think and Do Not Say…” invoking smooth vibes in the theatre.

Oddly, with so much leftover potential energy in the space, WebsterX didn’t immediately run out into his set. Instead, all the previous artists and DJs rushed on the stage, causing everyone to erupt in hysterical dances and screams. You would almost wonder if WebsterX would be capable of continuing the mountainous energy established. To everyone’s satisfaction, the most anticipated artist did not disappoint. Almost every tool and trope of a thrilling concert was utilized in WebsterX’s truly impressive performance. He danced alongside the crowd, invited more than a handful of fans to join him on stage, effortlessly crowd surfed and so much more. His song “Blue Streak” was perhaps the most enjoyable song of the night. WebsterX has undoubtedly set a bar for the rest of the concerts to come to Madison this year.

At the close of the fest, there is certain satisfaction and anxious anticipation for next year. Multifaceted artist and First Wave scholar Garrett Pauli expressed, “Overall, it was a great outing for the Madison hip-hop scene in the cold of January.” He also talked about the mixed energy of hip-hop fans, from “college transplants” to “rooted locals.” Let’s hope the Majestic continues to make satisfying impressions.