Christopher Mueller

Christopher Mueller buried a free kick to give Wisconsin an early lead. 

Trask riding high on young Wisconsin squad

The Badgers prepare to host three consecutive games and continue their hot streak beginning with NCAA tournament team Southern Illinois Edwardsville Tuesday night at the McClimon Soccer Complex.

Wisconsin (1-0-0 Big Ten, 2-4-0 overall) has been young and tested throughout the last two seasons. It did not see much success last year despite an enormous amount of talent on its roster, but things are looking up for the young squad as it attempts to extend its current two-game winning streak.

“We’ve got some excellent older leadership, but we are still a relatively young team,” head coach John Trask said at a Monday press conference. “We have a lot of redshirt freshman and true sophomores starting in very important roles, and learning how to win is not easy.”

Early last week, the Badgers defeated Big Ten opponent Rutgers (1-1-0, 3-2-1) for their first win of the season. On the road, the Badgers stuck it out thanks to sophomore forward Christopher Mueller’s lone goal in the tough, double- overtime thriller. Previously, Mueller was named to the College Soccer New National Team for his offensive successes.

Wisconsin followed the conference win against Rutgers with another road victory over St John’s. Mueller and sophomore forward Mark Segbers netted goals for the Badgers. There is a lot to be optimisticabout in the next couple games and throughout the remainder of the season. Trask alluded to the excitement surrounding his young and talented squad.

“It’s about becoming a damn good soccer team. I think we are well on our way. I like this team,” Trask said. “I think there is a great personality, and I think there is an electric athleticism to them and a strength to them, and while still relatively young, we are looking forward to the challenges in front of us, and the Rutgers win on the road in the 109th, 59th minute, lit- erally a buzzer beater, which you rarely if ever see in soccer, and then to turn around and go out and play a storied program like St. John’s. I have a great respect for that team and beat them 2-1 on the road.”

While the two previous wins are noteworthy, there is no shortage of strong teams left on the Badgers’ schedule. SIUE (3-2-1) comes to the McClimon Complex Tuesday as a NCAA tournament qualifier just a year ago, and it has not lost since Sept. 4. However, the Cougars are on a nine-day hiatus, with their last match having occurred Sept. 13. Leading the charge for the SIUE are sophomore forward Devyn Jambga and senior midfielder Jabari Danzy.

Jambga, whose father played soccer for the Cougars back in the 1980s, hails from Harare, Zimbabwe and leads the team with six points. Danzy has accumulated a whopping 16 shots to go along with his four points and two goals.

The Cougars and Badgers have squared off five times previously, the most recent resulting in a 1-1 tie at the UIC Tournament in 2011.

Look for the Badgers to continue their late success on Bram Dorreinsteijn Youth Team Night at the McClimon Complex Tuesday at 7 p.m.