Men's soccer heads to Maryland for Big Ten matchup

After a week-long break, Wisconsin looks to capture its first win in September. The young Badger squad (1-4-1), led by Freshman forward Mark Segbers, have yet to record a win in the month of September as they continue to struggle with inexperience.

The Badgers’ game last Friday ended in a draw against St. Johns (2-3-3). The tie was Wisconsin’s second straight overtime game at the McClimon Complex.

The Badgers are still trying to overcome the tough obstacle of inexperience. Only two of five players who have scored this season are above freshman academic standing. Senior midfielder Jacob Brindle and junior midfielder Drew Connor are two upperclassmen who have netted a goal thus far this season.

Wisconsin faces another tough task Friday as the Badgers head on the road to play Big Ten opponent Maryland. The Terrapins (2-3-2) have had a tough time getting big production out of individual players. No player on the roster has recorded more than one goal so far this season. In addition to their lack of an individual star, the Terps have only netted six goals on the year, four of them coming in the second half.

This newly added Big Ten team is coming off a penalty shootout win against Dayton (3-3-1) and is improving week after week.

Although the Badgers tied a tough overtime game last Friday, the coaches and players are noticing a substantial improvement throughout the weeks. Wisconsin outshot St. John’s 15-10, and also recorded more shots on goal and corner kicks.

“I thought we showed that we’re still committed. These guys continue to move in the right direction and are still learning. You’re never happy with a tie, but I walk away pretty pleased with this performance,” said head coach John Trask after the St. John’s game.

Look forward to a continually improving Badgers squad as they get set to take the pitch Friday at 6:30 p.m. in College Park, Md.