Professor asks man chewing tobacco in class if he brought enough for everybody

History professor Harold Francovis cut a lecture about the political implications of the Haitian Revolution short Wednesday afternoon to single out a student who was sneakily chewing tobacco in his class.

Jared Lang, a history major and casual “dipper,” was covertly spitting the juices from a wad of Red Man Loose Leaf Chewing Tobacco into an opaque coffee container when he heard Francovis abruptly call out to him.

“I jumped in my seat,” Lang said. “Out of nowhere [Francovis] was like, ‘What’s that in your mouth, young man?’”

According to Cardinal reporters currently enrolled in History 245: Caribbean Conflicts, Francovis stepped off the podium and proceeded to walk down the aisle to Lang’s seat.

“He asked my name, and then he asked me if I had read the syllabus,” Lang said.

According to Francovis’ History 245 syllabus, “students are free to chew as much tobacco in class as they like, provided they bring enough for everyone.”

“I told him that I must have missed that part,” Lang said.

“That’s okay, Mr. Lang. I know you can’t possibly have enough in your backpack to satisfy the entire class,” Francovis allegedly replied. “Nevertheless, it’s very important that we follow the rules of the syllabus as closely as we can, wouldn’t you agree?”

Francovis ordered Lang to reveal his Red Man pouch to the class and urged students around him to reach in and take a big pinch. Lang’s peers jumped at the opportunity for free chew, and the bag was emptied quickly.

“Even [Francovis] took some,” Lang said. “He made a big show of it, spitting loudly into my mug and everything. I guess that’s how he teaches kids a lesson, but it was so embarrassing.”

It could have been worse, Lang said.

“At least he didn’t make me stand up in front of the class. I was wearing gym shorts and it was still really early in the morning.”