Suspect steals student’s computer in 'bold' theft Wednesday

An unidentified male suspect stole a University of Wisconsin-Madison student’s computer at the Lakefront on Langdon Cafe in Memorial Union Wednesday, according to a statement released by UW-Madison Police Department Spokesperson Marc Lovicott.

The suspect walked up to the victim around 5 p.m., took her computer and ran, Lovicott said in the release. He is described as a black, slender man wearing a red hoodie under a green camouflage jacket, blue jeans, dark shoes and a red-, white- and black-striped stocking cap.

Neither he nor the victim said anything during the theft, Lovicott said. UWPD is still investigating the case.

The suspect had been in the area and acting suspicious 20 minutes prior to the theft, witnesses said in the release.

It is possible a second suspect, described as a heavyset Latino male wearing a dark hoodie, dark jeans and white shoes was acting with him, according to the statement.

Although no weapon nor direct violence was present, the “bold nature” of the theft is alarming, Lovicott said. UWPD advises campus community members to always be mindful of their surroundings and contact the police in case of suspicious behavior, as well as with any information about this crime.