Student official discusses police oversight campaign

Dane County Board Supervisor Leland Pan told a student government committee Tuesday he plans to begin a grassroots campaign to give community members oversight over police cases.

In a presentation to University Affairs Committee, Pan, who is also a University of Wisconsin-Madison student, said only other people within the police department make decisions about officers who are under investigation. He gave the example of Paul Heenan, an unarmed Madison resident who was shot by a police officer in November 2012. The officer was later internally determined to be innocent.

Pan said he would like to create an independent board that would have oversight over police cases.

“Since the police serve the community … the police should be held responsible to the community,” Pan said.

Pan also said he is beginning efforts to examine whether “people of color” are racially profiled by Dane County and Madison police, as he believes it could be a contributing factor in racial disparities such as the disproportionate number of black men who go through the criminal justice system.

“There is a sense among a lot of … people of color that there is profiling, but there is no hard evidence one way or another,” Pan said.

Also at the meeting, Student Council Secretary Carissa Szlosek updated committee members on safety measures, such as a shuttle leaving from College Library between 1 and 6 a.m., which could start a trial period as early as this semester.

Committee members also discussed plans to hold a kickoff week for Sexual Assault Awareness month in November. Proposed events include a women’s summit and an art exhibition.