Men's Soccer: Missed chances leave Wisconsin and UW-Milwaukee with 1-1 tie

Facing their in-state rivals, the University of Wisconsin men’s soccer team (1-2-0 Big Ten, 9-3-2 overall) tied the Milwaukee Panthers (3-2-0 Horizon League, 10-2-2) 1-1 (2OT).

After a scoreless first half, the Badgers got their best scoring opportunities towards the end of the second half, but they could not capitalize.

First, freshman forward Nick Jones was unable to convert on a volley in front of the net off a pass from sophomore midfielder Drew Conner. Then, in the 73rd minute with the score still even at 0-0, redshirt senior midfielder Tomislav Zadro had a shot off a free kick that sailed over the wall of defenders and just high of the crossbar.

Just seven minutes later in the 82nd minute, the Badgers were called for a handball in their own box, leading to a Panthers penalty kick. Making his first start of the season, senior goalie Max Jentsch dove the wrong way, and the Panthers took a 1-0 lead with fewer than ten minutes to play.

It took just 22 seconds for the Badgers to respond, as senior forward Toni Ramadani crossed the ball into the Milwaukee box, and junior midfielder Jacob Brindle sent in the header, his fifth goal of the season, to equalize the score at 1-1.

In the second of two golden goal overtime periods, the Badgers had a chance to win the match, but the Panthers saved a close header from Conner.

Neither team was able to gain a strong advantage over the other, both finishing with five shots on goal.

For Wisconsin, it was the fifth game out of their last six that they were able to gain a point, with a record of 4-1-1 in that span.

Wisconsin returns home to Big Ten conference play after playing their last two on the road, taking on Michigan St. Sunday, Oct. 27 with a 2 p.m. kickoff.