Ask the Deer Cardinal, Madison’s advice bird

Deer Cardinal,

Thanksgiving is coming up in a few weeks, and I’m from New York City, so I’m starting to make my plans for getting back home. I don’t want to spend the money on a plane ticket, so I’m looking for some cheaper travel options. Do you have any suggestions?

—Travis

Traveling Travis,

With airline prices these days, I don’t blame you for scoping out a more affordable alternative! Plus, ever since my uncle was injured in an accident involving a 747, a hot air balloon and a gaggle of geese, I’ve had a personal vendetta against the airline industry—but I digress.

Rather than soaring through the skies at lightning-fast pace, have you considered chugging across the country on a train? In case you haven’t checked already, I took the liberty of looking up a couple of routes. If you’re able to leave town a few days early, there’s a rail line that goes to New York from Madison with stops in Chicago, Indianapolis and Guadalajara.

Are you more of a bus person? Just Google “bus routes Madison to NYC.” One of the first pages that pops up lists a special offer called the “CheepXpress” package. The package cuts the travel time down to “just 16 hours” by stopping only once, for exactly three minutes, during the trip. Ooo, according to bus company’s website, the rest stop is home to the World’s Largest Gas Station Cinnabon—mmm, mmm! The bus is not equipped with bathrooms, adjustable seats or windows.

Safe and happy travels, Travis, and good luck getting home!

Deer Cardinal,

I’m still deciding whether to go to Freakfest. One of my favorite bands is playing, but I’m still not sure if it’ll be worth some of the hassle that goes along with attending Freakfest. What do you think?

—Frieda

Freaky Frieda,

What we have here is a classic Madison dilemma. Let’s weigh the pros and cons and see if that helps you make your decision.

Since your favorite band is playing, we should start by talking about that. On the one hand, you’ll probably never get to see that band for this cheap again. Plus, you’ll get exposed to some new music, and that’s always cool.

But at the same time, what if that other new music is ear-bleedingly bad? Do you really want to pay for that? You have no way of knowing just what you’re paying for.

Music aside, though, half the fun of Freakfest is figuring out an awesome costume. The options are endless! Plus, if all your friends go and you don’t, you won’t be in any of the Facebook photos….

Do you want to be a person or an object? Dress up with a group or do your own thing? So many fun questions to answer!

However, as fun as dressing up can be, coming up with a costume can be kind of a hassle. And what if it’s really cold out? If you only want to see one band, is it worth standing outside for hours in the frigid weather?

Alright, Frieda. Hopefully, this helped you clear your head and figure things out!

Got a question? Tweet at the Deer Cardinal. Literally.