Women's Hockey: Badgers drop two to No. 1 Gophers

Coming off a successful series split against North Dakota last weekend, the Wisconsin women’s hockey team (11-9-2 WCHA, 15-9-2 overall) knew it would be put to the test against No. 1 Minnesota (20-0-0, 26-0-0), winners of 32 straight contests. To say it simply, the Gophers did not disappoint. Minnesota completed the season sweep of the Badgers with 2-0 and 5-1 wins Friday and Sunday, respectively, at the LaBahn Arena. In the process, the Gophers broke the NCAA women’s hockey record of consecutive games won, previously set by Wisconsin in 2007 and again in 2011.

In the first game of the series, Minnesota did not waste any time on the offensive. At the 4:28 mark, freshman forward Hannah Brandt scored from the left wing to take an early 1-0 lead. The Badgers got themselves in trouble defensively as the first period concluded by committing successive penalties. They put the Gophers on a two-man advantage, and Minnesota did not relinquish the power play opportunity. With 1:58 remaining, Minnesota senior defenseman Mira Jalosuo took a hard slap shot, putting the Gophers up 2-0 heading into the intermission.

Even though the Wisconsin defense allowed two early goals, it sharpened up throughout the second period as it held Minnesota’s talented forwards in check, despite the Gophers owning a 15-5 shots-on-goal advantage.

Facing a 2-0 deficit, the Badger offense came alive in the final period of play, applying constant pressure to Minnesota senior goaltender Noora Räty to earn a 13-8 shots-on-goal advantage. However, the Gopher defense rose to the occasion, sealing the 2-0 victory.

“If we’re going to beat them, we certainly have to capitalize on our opportunities,” head coach Mark Johnson said, according to UWBadgers.com. “If you get power play chances, that’s probably the best time to do that.”

While the Badgers held Minnesota well below its season average of five goals per game Friday, Wisconsin was overwhelmed by the fast-skating Gophers offense Sunday, as they were aggressive early and often. The rout began midway through the first period when Wisconsin committed a turnover in its zone, and Minnesota senior forward Becky Kortum capitalized to give the Gophers a 1-0 lead.

Wisconsin would answer on the power play when junior forward Madison Packer used some smooth puck control to skate past Räty. From there, Minnesota would not look back, scoring four consecutive goals en route to a 5-1 victory to complete the sweep.

“We still have six important games left, trying to position ourselves to make sure we get home-ice advantage,” Johnson said. “Those are the things, you don’t want to lose any hockey games, but you have to learn from them and move on.”