City of Madison takes decisive stance, warns local bar owners against discriminatory admissions policies

Local officials warned bar owners in a letter released Wednesday that they could face repercussions for discriminatory entrance policies, representing the city’s most decisive stance on the issue.

Public outcry first arose late last summer when several downtown bars—notably Logan’s, Wando’s and Johnny O’s—instituted a policy requiring patrons to present either a state driver’s license or passport to enter.

Although the bars designed the policies to combat an uptick in violence, critics said the I.D. requirements discriminated against minorities. Statistically, African American and Latinos in Wisconsin are far less likely than whites to have a driver’s license.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he is currently unaware of any establishments still using the more restrictive policies, noting that Wando’s, Johnny O’s and Logan’s “long ago abandoned them.”

The letter, released by Mayor Paul Soglin’s office and bearing the signature of city alcohol policy coordinator Mark Woulf, said such policies violated both state statutes and city ordinances.

“We strongly suggest considering the ramifications some admittance policies may carry,” the letter said. “Maintaining a safe environment and preventing discrimination are not competing values in our community.”

According to state statutes, an official identification card is not limited to a valid driver’s license or passport. Additionally, the letter noted such policies could violate the city’s Equal Opportunities Ordinance.

The letter further warned such violations could be grounds for action against a venue, which, according to Verveer, could include fines or even the “death penalty”—revoking their liquor license.

Verveer said the letter’s main purpose was to invite alcohol license holders to a city-sponsored “Tavern Safety Training Session,” where a recently revamped curriculum will address safety, as well as civil issues such as I.D. and dress code policy.