State allows concealed weapons in Capitol

State officials decided Friday to allow concealed weapons in the state Capitol and other state buildings under Wisconsin’s new law that allows those with permits to carry weapons in public places.

The law is set to go into effect Tuesday.

“We must respect [a citizen's] right to keep and bear arms under the U.S. and Wisconsin Constitutions,” Department of Administration Secretary Michael Huebsch said in a statement.

Huebsch said weapons will be prohibited in buildings that provide services for mentally ill patients or criminals and buildings that store combustible materials.

In addition, concealed weapons will not be permitted in the Wisconsin Supreme Court chamber or the State Capitol Police station because of current state law.

The state Senate drafted rules that would prohibit concealed weapons from being brought into the Senate Gallery but the state Assembly will likely allow weapons in the Assembly Gallery. Both houses would permit concealed carry on their respective floors if committees approve their rules.

Huebsch said in a letter that state workers will be subject to the same criteria as the public with the exception of employees whose job performance may be impacted  by possessing a concealed weapon.

But Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca, D-Kenosha, said in a statement the policy shows that Gov. Scott Walker is “out of touch and taking our state in the wrong direction.”

“Gov. Walker needs to decide which is more important—dividing and polarizing our state or actually moving forward on issues that matter most to the people of Wisconsin,” Barca said.

City of Madison, Dane County and University of Wisconsin-Madison officials previously took steps to restrict those with concealed weapons access to their buildings. But their jurisdiction does not cover open public spaces like state parks, parking lots and campus outdoor areas.State officials decided Friday to allow concealed weapons in the state Capitol and other state buildings under Wisconsin’s new law that allows those with permits to carry weapons in public places.

City of Madison, Dane County and University of Wisconsin-Madison officials previously took steps to restrict those with concealed weapons access to their buildings. But their jurisdiction does not cover open public spaces like state parks, parking lots and campus outdoor areas.