Letter: Recall debate can be constructive

Lately, one of the bigger political issues in Wisconsin has been the attempt to recall Scott Walker. Regardless of success or failure, the recall’s potential impact on the state’s people is of the utmost importance to me.

Toxic political partisanship has been a rather obvious problem with the country for a while now. Calling the relationships in D.C. dysfunctional would be an understatement. Perhaps the most infamous example of this is in the bungled budget negotiations that spurred on speculation of an economic apocalypse and led S&P to downgrade America’s credit rating. And although it was amusing to see old men in suits called “schoolchildren,” the issue should have been a shocking, eye-opening experience to the dangers of partisanship.

And yet here we are, months later, with a government that is still as divided as it was before. And another budget to decide.

If partisan politicians are this dangerous, how much more so is a divided populace?

A people staunchly divided on party lines is easily manipulated. Extreme politicians could gain power because of what side they’re on, rather than merit--worsening already existing troubles and continuing a problematic cycle in which those who must compromise refuse to.

No matter what, the Walker recall will be divisive. There will be those who say Walker is a tyrant rivaling the likes of Sauron and those who say he’s doing a great job. What I ask is that both sides recognize and respect the democratic necessity of civil and constructive discourse.

Undoubtedly, advocates will say “true Wisconsin citizens” support one side or the other. That one side represents the “real” face of Wisconsin. Nonsense.

Like any other state, Wisconsin is composed of a complex web of diverse people, all of whom have a life tied to the well-being of the state. Whichever side one takes in the coming days, most are doing so out of a genuine concern for their home. Recognizing this, both sides of the recall should join the debate without demonizing their opponents.

This recall should not focus on hurling petty insults or accusations: it should not tear the state apart. Rather, it should spark an active political discussion. It should provide a channel for people to collectively express what they are displeased with and how they think the problems can be fixed. It should be a catalyst for positive political change.

Wisconsin should be strengthened by the recall, not weakened by it.

Mary Sedarous is a freshman with an undeclared major. Please send feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.