Time to leave the nest

Emma Roller

Time to leave the nest

Oh, what a long and winding road it has been… kidding, kidding! I'll try to refrain from any road or journey similes, most of which I already covered in my eighth-grade graduation speech. Even as I sit here on the dirty-ass couch trying to piece together a cohesive farewell column, I feel comfortable enough with my co-editors to give a dramatic interpretation of my eighth-grade graduation speech, embarrassing clichés and all. There are few people I'm comfortable sharing such idiosyncrasies with, yet in this little basement in Vilas Hall I've carved out a niche that I don't think I'll be able to ever completely replace.

Though I'm sad to go, I'm excited to see where next year's leadership will take this paper. Kayla Johnson, who will be replacing me as editor in chief, is a natural leader with a clear vision for the future of the Cardinal. Nico Savidge, who will be taking over as managing editor, is not only a national award-winning sports columnist, but has a deft eye for design and a keen sense of what students enjoy reading.

I won't dwell on how awesome I am, but I will use the rest of this column space to hype how awesome the Cardinal is.

The Cardinal has a rich history chock-a-block with talented journalists, radical activism and coups staged by the staff of a certain other student newspaper (but that's a story for another time). So if you're looking for some good summer reading, I recommend, ""It Doesn't End With Us"" by Allison Hantschel. Allison was editor in chief in 1993, just before the Cardinal was forced to shut down for seven months in 1995.

She has often referred to the story of the Cardinal's history as, ""the ‘Hoosiers' of newspapers."" And as you will doubtlessly see next year, we are due for a comeback.

Emma Roller is a senior majoring in journalism and political science. Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.