Committee members discuss logic, feasibility of Overture buyout

The Overture Ad Hoc Committee developed recommendations for Mayor Cieslewicz and the Common Council concerning the focus model after hearing heated arguments from Overture Center employees, management, resident companies and patrons Wednesday.

According to the current plan, the city would purchase the building for $1 and assume some maintenance costs and responsibilities. A separate non-profit entity would oversee the operation of the center.

Conflict arose between Overture employees and managers about whether the proposed focus model, drawn up by AMS Planning and Research, was financially accurate and feasible.

""The AMS model doesn't quite seem right ... in terms of their income projections. When I went back to look at what we were actually bringing in, I found that they didn't seem to match,"" said Jay Young, a theater technician at the Overture Center.

""We are confident this plan cannot succeed,"" Overture Center employee Jeff Porter said.

Tom Carto, president and CEO of the Overture Center, defended AMS as a highly respected firm.

""Let's circle back to the elephant in the room: We have a one-time opportunity to erase a $28 million debt ... Let's make it happen,"" Carto said.

Representatives from resident companies of the Overture Center including Madison Opera, Madison Ballet, Children's Theatre of Madison and Bach Dancing and Dynamite Society said they were concerned about the future of the center and their arts groups should the city decide not to purchase the building.

""In the end, I sincerely hope that we can keep the lights on here and that we can keep the high level of programming going without missing a beat ... I just don't want to see this place go dark. I'm scared,"" Executive Director of the Bach Dancing and Dynamite Society, Samantha Crownover said.

Ultimately, the committee agreed upon several recommendations to give to the council regarding the focus plan. These included hiring an independent expert to review the focus model, engaging an engineering firm to create a to-do list and engaging an advisor to create financial and programming standards to be negotiated with the non-profit operator.

The committee will meet Friday to further discuss provisions to the focus plan and their recommendations to the city.