Seniors looking for upset as Badgers host No. 4 Ohio State

tennis: Chris Freeman will face powerhouse Ohio State for the first time Sunday after the Badgers host Penn State at home Saturday.

The Wisconsin men's tennis team will wrap up their conference season this weekend against No. 75 Penn State on Friday and perennial Big Ten powerhouse No. 4 Ohio State on Sunday.

Last weekend's dual victories over ranked conference opponents leave the No. 27 Badgers (6-2 Big Ten, 17-6 overall) in fourth place in the Big Ten and the best position possible to close out the season at home against the conferences' nastiest challenge.

But first, the Badgers have to put down the Nittany Lions (14-9, 2-6) who, according to head coach Greg Van Emburgh, will show up looking to capitalize on any weakness and earn an upset of their own. The Lions beat the Badgers 5-2 last year but have not made a very convincing showing at Nielsen in the past, where the Badgers lead 7-1 all time. Even so, Van Emburgh emphasized the need to be mindful of the potential danger of the conference foe.

""We're 6-2 right now in the conference, playing good, still peaking, still improving,"" he said. ""Penn State is another conference match, and they're going to be a tough team, so we want to make sure we're focusing on them and not Ohio State on Sunday.""

That may be easier said than done with such a specter looming, and the men have been waiting a long time for this match.

""We were always looking towards Ohio State. This is our year,"" freshman Chris Freeman said. ""We're pretty good opponents, and we really want to beat them, so all year has been leading up to Ohio State.""

The Buckeyes (8-0, 27-1) lead the Big Ten this year, as they have in so many past, and boast a perfect record against conference opponents with only one loss on the season.

Most powerfully however, they have won the last 17 meetings against the Badgers, making them the program's worst slump and the only conference opponent unconquered in Van Emburgh's tenure. Given that, what will it take for the Badgers to come out on top on Sunday?

""We're pretty much going to need everything,"" senior Michael Dierberger said bluntly. ""The doubles point is going to be huge, so whoever really gets that first point has a good chance of winning the match.""

Van Emburgh also emphasized the importance of capitalizing on the doubles point against a team like Ohio State. A one-point advantage going into singles means a lot when facing a lineup stacked five-deep with ranked players, including No. 10 Chase Buchanan and No. 40 Justin Kronauge. From the players' perspective, that leaves a war to be waged between individuals for precious singles points, but it's one they still want to wage together.

""We've all been playing as a team, which is great, rather than individually,"" Freeman said about recent singles results. ""We all need to put our part in ... pump each other up and just get our emotions high. I think that's what's going contribute to [the win].""

Especially for young Badgers like Freeman, the Buckeyes' seemingly endless supply of talent means they will encounter tougher opponents than ever lurking even at the bottom of the lineup.

""That's always something that's a little intimidating as a freshman,"" he said. ""I haven't faced a player, or I haven't been in a situation yet, but I have nothing to lose so ... I can just kind of swing free and go for it.""

Freeman may have something to lose as he maintains the only perfect 6-0 conference record on the squad, but his loose and focused philosophy extends to the rest of the team.

""This team is ready, and we've positioned ourselves perfectly for an upset. You know, I don't really even want to call it an upset,"" Van Emburgh said. ""It's an upset on paper, but on Sunday, if we beat Ohio State, whatever the score may be, I'm not going to be a bit surprised.""

A victory on Sunday would not only play into a perfect Big-Ten Cinderella story, but provide a fitting close to the collegiate careers of three Badgers, who will play their last matches at Nielsen. Sunday will be Senior Day, honoring the contributions of Moritz Baumann, Luke Rassow-Kantor and Dierberger.

""They've added a lot of leadership. Especially as a freshman coming in, it's just great to have people that are such good role models for us and show us the ropes and get us into the matches,"" said Freeman.

""They've been a big part of us continually sustaining a top 25 or 30 program and contending for a Big Ten title,"" Van Emburgh said. ""We're going to miss all three of the guys ... They've been pioneers, so it's great that they are going to be able to play two really great matches at home to finish their careers.""

The affection is mutual, and the united spirit the team hopes to bring this weekend is the very thing Dierberger says he will miss the most.

""[Tennis] is usually an individual sport, but when you get to college it's a team thing and it's great getting the support of your teammates. That's what I'm going to miss the most,"" Dierberger said.

New upstarts and old talents will all be together this weekend, one last time at Nielsen to leave their mark on Penn state at 3 p.m. Friday and, finally, Ohio State at noon on Sunday.

""I'm glad I came here, and I want to go out with a bang,"" Dierberger said. And according to Rassow-Kantor, ""We saved the best for last.""