ASM recommends Woulf for voting member on ALRC

asm: ASM members voted Monday to recommend Woulf to the ALRC.

The Associated Students of Madison Student Council voted Wednesday to recommend Mark Woulf to fill the position of a citizen-voting member on the Alcohol License Review Committee.

Woulf is currently the non-voting student technical advisor on the ALRC, but if he is appointed will be able to have voting rights on the committee. The Common Council approved adding a citizen member to the committee Nov. 3, after Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said he would consider a student for the position.

Legislative Affairs Committee Chair Adam Johnson said Cieslewicz has his own potential candidates, some of which are not students from UW-Madison.

According to Johnson, the Council's recommendation is due to the mayor by Dec. 1, and getting the recommendation to the mayor as soon as possible would help ensure the student representative is from UW-Madison.

He said since UW-Madison is the largest institution with students in Madison, it would be of the greatest benefit to have a student from UW-Madison on the board.

Johnson said the Student Council has little time to search for and screen candidates.  Therefore, he said, the obvious choice of candidates was Woulf, who already has experience on the Committee with his current position.

ASM members also addressed a resolution of support for further rights for UW-Madison workers as well as several amendments to the ASM bylaws.