Awareness groups focus on suicide prevention

Suicide prevention: Suicide Prevention Week began with awareness groups educating the community outside the City County Building about suicide.

In accordance with Suicide Prevention Week, several awareness groups called attention to the prevalence of suicide both nationally and in the Madison community Tuesday along the steps of the City County Building.

Safe Communities and Helping Others Prevent and Educate about Suicide were present, along with speakers who offered condolences to families affected by suicide and depression.

Gail Scott and her son PJ Chamberlain shared their experiences. Chamberlain, now a student at Madison Area Technical College, had previous suicidal crises, and they both presented their outlook on suicide and its related prevention.

Awareness of the situation is not always enough, Scott said.

""I was very aware PJ was having problems but I was unable to stop everything,"" she said.

Scott praised the technologies of cell phones and text messaging, and noted their importance in helping her son, who sought help from her via texts.

""I communicated at his level and he was able to reach out to me,"" she said.

Chamberlain strongly urged students to take action if they notice a friend or roommate who seems depressed.

""Don't worry about what to say, just have the conversation,"" Scott said.

The ways to respond to someone who is potentially suicidal vary, but Scott stressed the need to be quick and to not sit around in denial of the situation.

HOPES co-founder Pat Derer said the organization strives to give the public information it needs to help their loved ones. She called attention to the importance of removing the stigma associated with mental health and depression.

HOPES travels across the state teaching people the symptoms of depression and warning signs of suicide.

Suicides in Wisconsin outnumber homicides, and Derer said the media focuses more heavily on homicides.

Derer, however, said awareness needs to be at the forefront of community concern.

Safe Communities and HOPES will present the third annual suicide prevention summit October 2.