Nearly two hundred parking spaces could be added to campus with the addition of the Linden Drive Parking Garage, which would replace Lot 62.

New parking structure could make visiting campus more accessible

The proposed parking structure on Linden Drive could increase parking accessibility for UW-Madison’s campus visitors.

The Linden Drive Parking Garage is a part of UW-Madison’s Long-Range Transportation Master Plan, which aims to add 2,000 parking spots to campus over the course of the next 20 years. The 600-stall garage would replace Lot 62, which currently provides only 410 stalls to the west side of campus.

The $23.6 million project would not compromise the agreement that UW-Madison has with the City of Madison to cap parking at roughly 13,000 spots. The addition of parking stalls in the Linden Drive Parking Garage will compensate for parking stalls that will be lost during the construction of a new Meat Science and Muscle Biology building.

Parking has been a priority of UW-Madison, a campus that has limited parking availability due to its location on an isthmus. Currently, visitors can call ahead to obtain an hourly or daily permit if they know when they will be visiting campus. The Linden Drive Parking Garage would make parking near the Veterinary Medicine Hospital or the Natatorium more accessible.

The project is meant to go underway by June 2019 with a tentative opening date in July 2020.