AAUP issues letter to Cross after emails criticize shared governance

Since his emails during the restructuring announcement were made public, faculty and staff have called for UW System President Ray Cross to apologize.

The executive committee of the UW-Madison chapter of the American Association of University Professors denounced UW System President Ray Cross for controversial remarks he made in emails after it was announced the system would pair two-year colleges with four-year colleges.

In emails obtained by Wisconsin Public Radio, Cross expressed frustration to Regent Gerald Whitburn about shared governance groups’ reaction to the change.

“Getting hammered by the 'shared governance' leaders because they weren't involved in the process; however, had they been involved we wouldn't be doing anything!!” Cross wrote.

In response, the AAUP issued a statement which cited faculty’s vote of no-confidence in Cross’s leadership in May 2016 and his track record of ignoring shared governance groups such as with policy changes on faculty termination.

“When you treat the core principle of shared governance as a concept so worthy of derision and disregard that you surround it with ‘air quotes’ in an email to a member of the Board of Regents, it is difficult to envision ever regaining that confidence,” the letter stated. “In short, your attitude and words have done further damage to an already damaged relationship.”

This comes after Nick Webber — the lone student representative on the University of Wisconsin Colleges and Extension Restructuring Committee — called for Cross to apologize for his comments.

“It is my sincere hope that divisive sentiments toward the employees and students of the University of Wisconsin System will no longer be tolerated,” Webber said. “The comments made were simply inappropriate and must be addressed immediately.”