The blood drive in Smith Hall is open Tuesday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Homecoming blood drive experiences slow first day

Although they did not get the turnout they expected, the American Red Cross began accepting blood donations for its Homecoming blood drive.

According to Shannon Montgomery, an American Red Cross district manager, the group did not see as many students as they hoped during their first day. Halfway through the day, they had collected just 35 units of the projected 200 units of blood. But Montgomery noted that she is hopeful for the next two days.

Despite the underwhelming results, Montgomery said college students make up a significant portion of blood donations across the country.

“The Red Cross needs 14,000 units of blood per day to meet patient needs across the United States,” Montgomery said. “Students represent 20 percent of the blood we collect, so they are important for us.”

The blood drive — which began Tuesday and will continue through Thursday — accepts both appointment and walk-in donors from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Smith Hall. Students who donate blood receive a free t-shirt, snacks like pizza and bagels and are entered into a raffle to win a football signed by Paul Chryst.

This is not the only event the American Red Cross hosts at UW-Madison. Along with the Homecoming drive, the organization will host a drive in February, according to Montgomery.

Besides hosting large drives, the American Red Cross also takes blood donations at Union South every Thursday and Friday throughout the year.