2017's Freakfest promises quite a variety of performances, from D.R.A.M. to Mutemath.

Freakfest announces this year’s varied lineup

Since 2006, Freakfest has been a staple of Halloween celebrations in Madison. 2017 marks the 10-year anniversary of the festival’s musical showcase. While this year’s lineup isn’t as impressive as in years past, there are still a handful of performances you’d be a fool to miss.

Headlining the Mountain Dew Capitol Stage is Grammy-nominated rapper/singer D.R.A.M. Known for his intoxicating smile and smash hit “Broccoli,” the young MC is sure to attract a massive crowd. After a packed show when D.R.A.M. visited the Majestic in early 2017, there’s no doubt he’s got a dedicated fanbase here.

While D.R.A.M. may be the biggest name on the lineup by contemporary standards, it’s the performance just before his that has potential to be one of the best shows in Madison this year.

The P-Funk legends George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic will be gracing the Mountain Dew Capitol Stage with their untouchable sense of rhythm. While their names may not be commonplace today, their musical influence is everywhere. The group has gone on to be sampled by Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Kendrick Lamar and countless others. The fact that George Clinton is 76 and still touring means he’s got years of experience that should not be missed.

Alt-rock band Mutemath—who broke into the music scene with a unique electronic twist during the mid 2000s—will be one of the main attractions at the Steve Brown Apartments/Z104 Stage.

Of course, Freakfest wouldn’t be a genuine Madison celebration without some local artists getting the chance to perform for adoring fans. Madison favorite DJay Mando will be DJing in between sets on top of opening up the mainstage. Local bands greenhaus and Twelves will also have the chance to display their unique sounds on the WSUM/Ian’s Pizza Stage near the campus-end entrance to the festival.

With a wide array of acts across three individual stages, there’s something for music lovers of nearly all genres. Though it may not have as many nationally-recognized acts as the past, 2017’s Freakfest could be one to remember.