During a lengthy presentation at a Board of Regents meeting Thursday, UW System President Ray Cross detailed the system’s new strategic framework 2020FWD.

Board of Regents approves $42.5 million operating budget increase

The Board of Regents approved the UW System’s request to increase the operating budget by $42.5 million for the 2017-’19 biennium budget. The regents also passed two other proposals, both unanimously: a strategic framework for the system titled 2020FWD and a capital budget request that calls for $454.6 million in general fund-supported projects.

UW System President Ray Cross said the operating budget increase is a “reasonable request” and that it would help stimulate the state's economy by infusing Wisconsin with talented and educated workers.

To secure the funding increase for the system, the request now needs to be approved by the state legislature and the Governor, which Board of Regents President Regina Millner said would be “hard work.”

The operating budget request would help fund the strategic framework, which encourages creativity and innovation while proposing several new initiatives as well as further support for already existing programs.

Cross said 2020FWD is the result of listening to the voices of more than 1,000 Wisconsinites. The framework aims to focus on four main areas: the educational pipeline, operational excellence, university experience and business and community mobilization.

Cross noted during a presentation at the meeting that several business leaders he heard from wanted the cultural competency program to be in place for students, which is also present in the budget request. He also said initiatives would increase compensation for the system’s “world-class” faculty and staff in order to keep them, make advising for students more accessible and connect UW schools with local businesses.

Regent Tony Evers, the state’s superintendent of public instruction, was the lone vote against the request. He stressed that the $42.5 million request made up only a small fraction of the budget cut in the 2015-’17 state budget, and that this request falls well short of what the system needs.

Several chancellors from different UW universities spoke about the necessity for this funding. UW-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank said she supported the regents’ decision, and she spoke highly the request.

“I’m very very pleased with the request that is being put out there. I think it’s deeply important to have some new moneys to do some investments around the university,” Blank said. “The flexibilities are so important. They’re placed where we can most save money and run more efficiently.”

The operating budget request will now go to Gov. Scott Walker, who has already discussed some plans for the budget, including performance-based funding and continuing the in-state tuition freeze.